Sunday, May 31, 2009

Retro?

I saw this fabric in the remnant bin and it called to me, but I wasn't really sure what it wanted to be until I was rummaging through my patterns and came across Kwik Sew 530.It was my grandmother's and although there isn't a date printed anywhere on the pattern, I did find it in an old Kwik Sew catalog from 1971. Isn't it awesome! I've actually used this pattern once before, to make a faerie dress for my Sister-in-Law.Isn't she cute?
What I had forgotten was that Grandma had cut the pattern down to a size 10 in the bodice only and then altered the shoulder and armscye (we Colley women are shortwaisted). But according to the pattern measurements, I needed a 12, so what's girl to do? Well, I headed to BurdaStyle for a How-to on grading up a pattern and went for it. So, now I have a size 12 pattern and I was ready to go. I should have listened to myself though, when I thought the pattern looked too big. I ended up taking 6(!) inches in the waist and I'm still not really happy with how it fits around the arms, but I love the print and the fabric is super comfy, so I don't care.
And here is the top on (headless) me. I was having a very bad hair day.
Lesson learned #1: When you think something looks weird... It probably is.
Lesson learned #2: Pattern measurements should be taken with a grain of salt (and the recognition that each pattern incorporates a different amount of ease).
Lesson learned #3: Grandma knew what she was doing.
I miss her.

1 comment:

Tawny said...

It's totally true about taking pattern measurements with a grain of salt. If I listened to them, the McCall's pattern I was trying out would have me make size 20! I made a size 14 and it was still huge and had to be fixed. Ended up being about a size 8. Sheesh!

I find Simplicity patterns fit the closest to their actual measurements posted on the envelope.