Saturday, May 23, 2009

Because patches are so NOT cool...

but everyone loves Elmo!!

Logan's favorite pair of jeans were on their way to the trash pile. He loves them and wears them all the time. They even still fit! The knees were sadly threadbare, and while I can recon my jeans into a skirt, that really isn't an option here. So, I took a little help from my friend Elmo, who now doubles as patches and knee pads.The appliques are felt, applied to the knee of the jeans in layers. Sewing was a bit tricky, since the jeans were already assembled. It might have been easier to just rip out the inseam and resew it, but just wiggling it around my free arm worked fine.
This is the most complicated applique that I have ever attempted, and the first time that I have used felt. Loving the felt! No need to satin stitch, just sew it on and no worries about unravelling. Sweet. Despite the multiple pieces and layers, this was a pretty fun and easy project, and a great way to save a pair of jeans!

Here's a little up close of the Elmo on the left. He looks happy to see you!

No comments: