Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day in the States, which while strictly speaking, is a day to honor the men and women who have fallen while defending our country and freedom, it is an opportunity to honor all of those who serve to protect and defend us. As an Army brat, I have a lot of reasons to appreciate these patriotic holidays, and always get a little teary-eyed if I think too hard about them. In honor of Memorial Day (sort of), I've been contemplating the sewing I've yet to do for July 4th (American Independence Day). I found some cute patriotic prints for nearly nothing ($2/yd) and have been contemplating my options with them. I saw this cute dress in a catalog for The Children's Place and thought I'd copy the general feel of it for Myra.

I like the alternating diagonal stripes, and I think I'll incorporate these fabrics into a round yoke, tiered dress.For Logan, I was initially thinking I'd do a button down shirt, but he already has so many, and it is ALWAYS hot on the 4th of July in Texas, so I think I will make some long cargo shorts and applique a muscle shirt with a star, or maybe a helicopter - he'd love that.

No comments: