Saturday, May 9, 2009

For Fun in the Sun

I can't believe how quickly this little outfit went together!  And I think it turned out really well.  So cute!
The top is a variation of the dress from Made by Petchy, which you can download for free!  It is awesome!  Even including drafting the pattern, the entire thing took about a half hour.  And, yay for no hemming!  The bottom is the bloomers from Butterick 4110, but with bias tape bound edges and the elastic zig zagged on, rather than cased with single fold bias tape.  The bloomers took a little longer - maybe 45 minutes.
And the bonus - the whole outfit was from my stash so the total cost was one hour of my time.  Sweet!  Even the bias tape was left over from another project.
Now that I've made this once, I'm definitely going for a repeat.  It was just too easy not to make again, and there is so much potential for variation.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I really like your variant with extending the armhole case to become the shoulder straps, instead of threading it through a casing across the chest and back. It wouldn't work on my daughter though, because the chest and back pieces are too wide. Using the casing allows me to scrunch up the fabric along the front and back to frame her better. I'd either have to adjust the pattern (which I'm not expert at) or use elastic.

Beth said...

When I looked closely enough to see the bias tape, I knew you'd have it done really fast. I can see myself making something this easy, but it would take me more than an hour.

Melissa said...

This outfit is so cute! I should try something like that for my daughter.

KID, MD said...

I drafted my own pattern (Petchy's were to small for my little monster), but it still ended up a little wide in front. I think next time I'll put in a few pleats or gathers in the front bodice before I bind it.