Thursday, July 1, 2010

Monthly Roundup - June '10

Well, another month has come and gone, and it's time for me to tally up...  This month has been a difficult one for me.  This has definitely been my hardest pregnancy so far (aided and abetted by the two active youngsters that keep me going), and my sewing has really suffered.  This month I cheated a bit by re-making some old favorites and sticking to mostly simple designs - with the exception of the Fantasia dress.


1) Simplicity 2520 skirt for me
2) Sew Chic 9005 dress for me
3) Kwik Sew 2881 shorts x2 for Mitch
4) McCall's 5560 dress for Myra
5) Butterick 4222 PJ top for Logan
6) New Look 6638 PJs for Myra
7) New Look 6932 PJs for Myra

The sad total: 10 items; 2 for me, 2 for Mitch, 1 for Logan and 5 for Myra.  I sewed 15 yards, only 4.25 of which was from the stash.  Fortunately, I haven't bought any fabric that wasn't immediately put to use this month, so at least that is headed sort of in the right direction.

The only new things I did this month were on the Fantasia dress, where the bodice was fully interfaced, which I'd never done, as well as the lapped side seam zipper.  At least there was something!!

The pregnancy also necessitated some changes of plan, since fitted clothing just isn't working for me right now.  I'm actually thinking of resuscitating my 6PAC, since it was almost finished, and replacing the Colette Ceylon dress with BWOF 07/2009-104 (which I already traced and have fabric for!).  The dress is basically just a very wide A-line with shaping at the waist done with elastic shirring, which seems to me like it would be forgiving to my changing figure.  For the Simplicity 2936 blouse, I think I will instead make New Look 6807 in a pretty electric blue rayon jersey.

Right now I am working on vintage Simplicity 9446, which I have been dying to make, and want to have for the summer.  I'm planning on the maxi length with short sleeves in a lightweight lawn that just floats.  
It is quite sheer, so I'll be underlining it with batiste.  I'm working on tweaking the fit and shaping in the bodice right now.  It's been slow going.  I'm not sure why, but I think I'm a bit afraid of this dress.  My first muslin was quite snug in the bust despite a small FBA.  (Insert witty comment about maternity curves here.)  I also think I'm going to convert the vertical bodice darts into gathers.  They look a bit pointy as darts, and I think that underbust gathers will be more graceful.  Otherwise I am going to try to be faithful to the design and construction techniques.  Should be fun!  I won't get to it today though, as we're heading out of town for the weekend.  I'll be back to the machines on Monday.  For those here in the States, have a safe and happy 4th of July!

8 comments:

Sam Rose said...

I can't believe it's the end of the month already. Great job with the sewing this month with being prego and having two lovely children to chase around.

Julia said...

I think 10 items in one month is amazing. I'm sorry to hear that you are having a difficult pregnancy. My third one was hard especially near the end. When you already have two little ones you're tired anyway, add in a pregnancy and it makes it more exaggerated. I remember one summer day, when I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant with my third, I asked my then 3 and 5 1/2 year olds to play quietly for a few minutes so I could lay down to rest. My 3 year old, who is now pregnant with her 2nd, said, "Boy, I can't wait to be a mommy, all they do is lay around and take naps." I still laugh when I think of those words coming out of her mouth, especially when she complains of being tired with her no. 2! Hang in there, 3 is a wonderful number!!!

Eugenia said...

I think that you have made some gorgeous things this month - your family should be very pleased! I'm really looking forward to seeing how your vintage Simplicity dress progresses.

Kathi said...

I made one bag - a tote/baby bag I was paid to make!! That is ALL I made in the month of June. It has been a long month with no sewing - that has made it even longer.
You have done great!

Ann Made Studio said...

You have been very productive :))))

Michelle said...

That looks like a pretty productive month to me! And congratulations on your pregnancy!

Mary Nanna said...

I think many of us would be thrilled to make 10 garments in a month. I'm not surprised your third pregnancy is slowing you down.. after all, you still have to run around after the other 2! I never sewed any maternity wear because I hated the idea of having something for so little time - not realising of course that it takes forever to lose the weight afterwards!

Sascha said...

Imagine what you will be turning out when you hit your second trimester! Energy galore. I can't wait to see the amazing baby clothes you start turning out.