Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Weekend Sewing Huck Finn pants

My poor little neglected boy tore a hole in his very favorite "Kitty" shorts, so after I repaired the hole, I decided to make him a new pair of shorts, out of this fun fireman print that he picked out.
I've had great luck with the Huck Finn pant from Heather Ross's Weekend Sewing, and so I wanted to use it, but Logan is currently wearing the largest size, and they are way too short and a wee bit snug, so I decided to sort of cheater grade them up by adding 1/2 inch (for a total of 2 inches around) to the width of each pattern piece and 2 inches total to the length.  I think it worked well and preserved the cute shape of these pants.

Now, if only I could get him to wear them!!!  Kids!

ETA: He wore them!!  Apparently, they are swimming shorts.  Silly me...  When I told him to go get his shorts for the Splash Park, he came back with these in hand.  Who was I to argue?
They fit just as they are supposed to - long and full (so he can wear them a while!!)
I'm pretty sure he ISN'T peeing in the sprinkler here...  I love the slight bell shape that the legs have.  Totally fun pants!

10 comments:

BConky said...

Cute shorts. I'm sure he'll love them once he gets them broke in.

Sam Rose said...

I love that fabric! I too know the pain of trying to tackle a child for a picture. Although most of the time mine is a ham for the camera.

Liesl said...

What cute shorts - I really like that great fireman print. Good luck with getting your kiddo to wear them! (My niece has just started wearing a pinafore I made her 12 months ago - see there's always hope!)

Marie-Christine said...

Sounds like you should be making pants for -yourself-..

Heather said...

Those are great! I'm sure they will become favorites "shortly". Get it...haha ha...er, maybe not... LOL! I'm such a dork!

wendy said...

what a cute boy print! they're adorable :)

gwensews said...

Cute shorts! Kids have their own agenda, so if they are worn as swim shorts--well, maybe that's what they are supposed to be!

Joy said...

Very fun shorts! And very funny kid. Mine do the same thing.

Sascha said...

Glad to hear you like the pattern. I have the book but yet to try anything from it.

amber said...

Really cute! I have that book and will have to keep that pattern in mind. I have tons of cute little girl patterns, but am always looking for more cute and fun little boy stuff.