Monday, June 14, 2010

McCall's 5560

Since my fabric closet is currently overflowing, I have a pile of refashionables sitting on the floor of the sewing room, one of which was a Tinkerbelle scrub top given to me by a friend.  Every time Myra comes in, she brings me the top, as a reminder that it still isn't a dress for her...
So now it is.
Here is the scrub top "before".  In order to get the dress out of this top, I did have to unpick the pockets and the hem.  This left a slight fade line, but I just used the front of the scrubs for the back of the dress, and it really isn't noticeable in the finished article.
Here is the dress.  I used McCall's 5560, which is a "Stitch 'n save" pattern.  I didn't have very high expectations for the quality of the instructions, but considering the simplicity of the dress, I didn't think it would matter much.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that they did include the little things like trimming seams and understitching the facing.  I've noticed that the "easy" patterns tend to skip things like that, even though I think they are pretty essential.  My only objection was the hand sewn hem.  Kidding, right?  This is a play dress...
I didn't have enough Tinkerbelle to do the facings, so I just used a scrap from my stash.  Other than the 2 bucks for the pattern, which I hadn't used before, I bought nothing for this dress.  Not bad!
I think Myra likes it.  She spent all morning saying, ""Belle, pretty!".  I'm not sure why she is carting around that binky today.  She found it in a box of baby toys, but never took one before.  Whatever.  She's a weird child.

13 comments:

Sam Rose said...

That is so cute!! Perfect for a little princess.

Amy Bailes said...

Very cute! I love that I'm not the only one being reminded by her children that they want something sewn for them. :)

BConky said...

So cute. I just refashioned some old T-shirts for my granddaughters. I just love them. Take a look on my blog, it might give you some ideas. Enjoy your blog.

gwensews said...

Cute! Little ones have their own minds!

Anonymous said...

So sweet! That pattern looks really similar to M5416 which I've made a couple of times. I too was surprised to see directions for understitching in it. For all of the complaining you hear about people about big 4 patterns, it's nice to see good directions now and then. I can relate to the weird reverting habits too--my Noah's been crawling lately just for kicks. Just feeling nostalgic perhaps.

Suzanne said...

Very cute! She sure seems to like it too :) I love that it cost you almost nothing - those are the best projects!

Joy said...

Cute! Better in this form than as baby scrubs (:

Aminat said...

Ohh that is so cute....Love the model as well, you can tell she likes it too...Great job mama

Angela said...

She is just scrumptious! Love the little dress!

Kathi said...

How very cute!!

Victoria said...

What a great refashion. Your daughter looks cute in her "new" dress!

michal said...

adorable little dress for a cute little child :-)

amber said...

What a great refashion. She looks very pleased with it, too!