Saturday, June 19, 2010

New Look 6638

Myra has been in need of new jammies for some time, as she's rapidly growing out of the Logan hand-me-downs.  I let her pick out some flannel at Hancock a few weeks ago.
She loves Ariel...  
The pattern is New Look 6638, which I have used before to make the short sleeved view.   We didn't completely love the way they worked out.  The gathered legs tended to ride up, and the short sleeves left her arms cold.  This time, I skipped the elastic at the ankles and made the longer sleeve.  Hopefully these will keep her nice and cozy.
She picked out these cute fishie buttons to go with the Little Mermaid fabric.  I think they are too adorable!  Since they are sew through buttons, I decided to match the thread to the button rather than use the garment thread.  I think this gives a more professional appearance (inasmuch as fishie buttons on Ariel PJs are professional).  What do you do when you have a contrasting button?  Do you match thread to the button or the garment?
Parting shot:
She's going to make the next pair!

17 comments:

wendy said...

adorable!
i made Kate a pair of PJs from some little mermaid flannel just like that one & she looooves them. it's a really cute print :)

Kitschy Coo said...

I can't believe how much she's grown up recently! She's too cute :)

I've never matched buttonholes to the button, only the garment. Might be an idea though! Speaking of buttonholes, the one in the sidebar 'On the Singer' is beautiful. I've never done one with a circle on the end, it looks lovely.

Michelle said...

Too cute!! The fish buttons are adorable!

Beangirl said...

You know, I tend to make a third color for the thread when the buttons don't match. I always worry that it will look a little crafty-crafty, but my goal is for it to be couture-funky.

yeah. That's it.

Myra looks sooooo much like her mommy these days! Can't wait to see what she sews! :-)

Elizabeth said...

So cute!!! She's ready to go on the mmachine too! I usually match buttonholes to the garment and use thread for the buttons that matches the buttons.

Amy Bailes said...

I do both - sometimes matching the thread to the fabric and sometimes to the buttons. It mainly depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Eugenia said...

Myra looks so adorable in her new jammies. What a great eye for fashion she has at such an early age - the fabric and buttons are so cute and perfectly matched!

Marybeth said...

How CUTE!!! Those PJ's are so special!!!!

Stray said...

They look so cool! I love the buttons and the fabric. The fabrics in the US are so much better than the uk :(

Kathryn said...

They're gorgeous! and so is she! And I use whatever I have to hand, which can sometimes involve using poppers instead, especially if I'm in a hurry to finish something!

Ann Made Studio said...

Ah both are adorable :)

gwensews said...

Too, too cute! That little girl is growing fast. It seems I can see her growth every time you post a picture of her.

Victoria said...

Your daughter is such a cutie pie. I love her jammies and great fish buttons. I used to love Ariel when I was a little girl as well.

Sue said...

Cute!

Concerning thread colour on buttons - it depends on the look I am after. It can be cute to sew with a contrasting thread and do an 'X' on buttons with 4 holes.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

She does look just like you in that last shot - cute PJ's! I've actually never made a shirt with that kind of button - shocking! In pants or shorts I guess I match the button.

amber said...

Those are really cute - especially love the fishie buttons. That last picture of her is so adorable!

Cennetta said...

Adorable outfit on your little princess.