Wednesday, March 26, 2014

McCalls 658: Sleepytime for Barbie

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been doing a lot of sewing for this girl and her friends lately. I don't know why, but every time I head into my sewing room, intending to make something for an actual human, I just haven't been inspired. My mojo is slumping big time, but I'm still enjoying sewing tiny things, so that's what I'm doing. I hope you don't mind my occasional dip into Barbie and Midge's fantasy world.
I think one of the appeals of sewing for fashion dolls is that I can make things that have no place in my real life.
Bias cut satin negligee and dressing gown? Yes, please! If I tried swanning about it this, I'd trip over it, or run the feathers through a mess.
But I think it suits Midge. The golden satin goes beautifully with her blue eyes and red hair.
Both pieces of the ensemble are sewn from McCalls 658. The fabric and lace trim are from a camisole that has been in my refashion pile for at least 5 years. So glad to finally find a use for it! And I reused the bias tube cami straps, so I didn't have to make my own.
The only change I made to the pattern was to take in the bodice about 1/2 inch. I wanted a nice snug fit. I also made a little sleep mask. Poor Midge doesn't have functioning eyelids. Tragic.
The dressing gown really makes the look though. All those feathers, framing her face and figure - I love it. It brings back old Hollywood glamour for me.
I did end up taking in the gown significantly at center back. I added a seam there for shaping, and took 1 1/4 inch out of the seam. Yowza! It was seriously oversized. The shoulders were very wide, and despite having a nice tailored sleeve cap, they looked sloppy. I also reshaped the neckline to fit the new back width.
What a lovely way to start the day!

12 comments:

Helen Maciejewski said...

I used to sew clothes for my daughter's Barbies and Ken. (Several Barbies....only a single Ken. Go figure.) very 80's glam rock with lots and lots of pink lace and gold and silver lame. But nothing I made compares with this glamour and luxury. It is fun to sew at this scale using bits and pieces of luxuriousness to create these little fantasies, isn't it? I very much enjoy seeing these.

Kathleen Cooper said...

This is the cutest yet. I can't wear stuff like this in real life either. Im glad Midge can!

Jamie Rapose said...

I am really enjoying all the Barbie posts. That ensemble is HAWT! And I, like you, would make a mess of it if it were in my wardrobe. Since I live in a house full of boys, maybe it's time to throw a little girl in the mix and get myself a new Barbie to play dress up with. You've officially inspired me :)

Heather Bee said...

Midge, how did you steal my nighty?! But no, I'd ruin one of these immediately too. That's why Midge gets all the feathers. It's really glamorous and I love it.

Annette said...

Here from PR, and love the outfit! Hollywood old-style glamor, it rocks! Way to go and terrific job!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Oh my gosh, your photo shoot is so fabulous! As is this little ensemble. I want this in real life.

Katie Deshazer said...

Thanks!! Me, too!

Katie Deshazer said...

Thank you!

Katie Deshazer said...

She's sneaky, that one...

Katie Deshazer said...

Thank you! I am really loving sewing for her. She never complains! :)

Katie Deshazer said...

I love having an excuse to sew this totally the opposite of practical stuff. :)

Katie Deshazer said...

LOL! Myra turns her nose up at Ken, too! Don't blame her really - he gets no glam.
Thank you! I cut my sewing teeth on 80s Barbie clothes. It's fun to make them now with more "adult" sensibilities.