Wednesday, March 19, 2014

McCalls 658: Itty Bitty bustier

I've been thinking about my March of the Shieldmaidens make. (Spoiler: This isn't it.) My first thought was to make a corset for Barbie to go over a simple shift style dress. But first I needed a good corset/bustier pattern. I decided to start with McCalls 658, which includes several princess seamed dresses.
I didn't want to cut into my teeny scrap of leather without testing the pattern first, so I grabbed some pink gabardine with a similar weight and stretch and made it up, cutting off the dress length at the high hip.
But it turned out so cute, I had to finish it and add some bling. And make a skirt. Basically, this is the muslin that became an entire outfit.
Fit-wise, I did have to take around 1/8 inch off each seam, which ends up being about 3/4 inch all around. Inside, the bustier is finished with twill tape to keep the edges stable. It closes with velcro at center back.
I added some hotfix crystals to define the neckline a little better. And because bling is fun. The skirt is faux stretch leather left over from my leggings and sweater. I drafted the pattern myself by wrapping the leather around the doll and chalking in the seam lines. It has a velcro closure at the side seam. I left the hem unfinished.
I continued the line of crystals in back. I hate when decorative elements are only in front. The rear line of the skirt is very sleek, thanks to the lack of CB seam.
Overall, I'm completely thrilled with this spur of the moment, muslin turned outfit. I think it is my favorite Barbie outfit I've made so far!

9 comments:

Rachelle Green said...

Barbie is looking absolutely fabulous! Love the color combo.

Sofie M said...

Love that little outfit. I also hate when there is no bling or detail on the back - screams cheap to me...

Sandra said...

OMG that is sooo awesome. I love how perfect the tiny side of the Barbie garments are.

Melanie RG Handmade by The See said...

these outfits get better and better!! I love these posts! Pretty please compile them into book form???

Katie Deshazer said...

Wouldn't that be the most amazing coffee table book?!?! Glam pics of Barbie... I wonder what it would cost to have it done. That would be so fun.

Katie Deshazer said...

Thanks! I try to keep them tidy, even if Mattel isn't as into quality construction. ;)

Katie Deshazer said...

Seriously! Such a pet peeve of mine. How hard is it to continue a decorative element all the way around??

Katie Deshazer said...

Thank you! Pink is Barbie's signature, after all. ;) I love the coat you made for her with the attached scarf! I have that pattern too, so I may be copying you soon...

EmSewCrazy said...

You can make your own photo books on sites like shutterfly and kodak. It's not too expensive and the more you order the cheaper it is.