Friday, October 16, 2009

Ottobre 04/2004-14

Here is Logan's fancy new Soccer Ball shirt.I started on this shirt last week, but when I got the fabric for the pants for the wedding, I decided to put this aside, since the pants were a bit more urgent. All that was left was buttonholes and buttons, which doesn't sound like a lot, but there were nine of them in 2 different sizes! Long sleeved dress shirts are trouble...That said, I really love this one!! This is the first long sleeved dress shirt that I have ever made, and therefore, my first experience with cuff plackets. I've always been afraid of them. I read directions, but my mind just couldn't wrap around how they work. Now that I've done it, I think that it is one of those things that I just had to see and do to understand. Ottobre had wonderful illustrated instructions and I was reading David Page Coffin's Shirtmaking, so I used an amalgam of the two.
They turned out quite nicely, although I rather wish I had been a bit more careful with my layout, since this side says "Ick" across the buttonhole.
I love the way that the back yoke curves around to the front. This is also the first Logan-sized shirt that I have made with a full collar with stand. I like! I may not go back to the bad old one piece collar days...
And the little man pleat in the back - Love it!! And so does Logan!Whew! He's been refusing to wear things that I have made him lately, and I thought I was in trouble. Apparently I just needed to let him pick the fabric.
Myra likes it, too. Maybe I'll whip up a pint-sized version for her...

Parting shot: My big boy heading off to Pre-school. At least he is cradled in love. Mommy made his shirt and backpack and Oma made his shorts. We love you, little guy!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Katie it's great! No one else will notice the "ick," so don't point it out.
I would love to know how long it took you . . . . do you ever keep track of things like that? Whatever number you get, I would have to multiply by 5 or 10 (or more) for how long it would take me.

Kathryn said...

Gorgeous! I came across it on Flickr and just had to investigate further. Nice boys' stuff is so hard to find! Will you do what I always do, and point out the 'mistake' to anybody who admires the shirt? Please don't! It's just perfect!