Saturday, October 10, 2009

Simplicity 5695 - Flower Girl dress

Another win for Simplicity 5695! I love this pattern. It really is so versatile and fun to sew. This one is my baby version of Kali's wedding gown as a flower girl dress for Myra.Here is the front. Obviously the bodice is significantly different than Kali's. Princess seaming didn't seem to make much sense for a wee one who's chest is actually smaller than her waist. Kali's dress is very simple in the front, so I didn't do any embellishment here to echo that simplicity.
All of the action is in the back!
I echoed the shape of Kali's overskirt in Myra's and while I didn't do corset lacings, I added a bow at the waistline, which is where Kali's lacings will tie. I topped the bow with a satin flower in dark red, which is the color that the bridesmaids and groomsmen will be wearing.
Inside, I pinked all of the vertical and sleeve seams, just as I did with Kali's skirt. I elected to cover up the layers of scratchy organza and fraying satin at the waistline with a bound finish, using up some more of the satin bias tape. The hem is pinked and fused, which I would have never thought to do to a formal dress, but I recently hemmed a Homecoming dress for a friend and the RTW hem was fused! When Mom and I got together last weekend I mentioned it to her and we tried it out on some swatches of satin and it looks great! So, since it's what we are doing for the wedding dress, I did the same for Myra's dress. Talk about easy hemming!


Beth said...

I love it!

Michelle said...

That dress is so adorable! fantastic work!

Kathi said...

How sweet!!

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see her chubby little self in that!

Kitschy Coo said...

Very pretty dress!

I wanted to thank you for a very lovely review on Patternreview as well, I was so excited to find it and immediately got on the phone to my mom to tell her :)