Saturday, July 18, 2009

McCall's 3439 - Vintage

I know, wild, huh? It may actually be brighter in real life... Mitch picked it out - to be fair, it was in my stash, so I actually picked it first - so that I could muslin this shirt pattern. To be honest, I like it, and I hope he actually wears it. We'll see.
It does fit, as you can see, although the collar is decidedly seventies in style, which is unsurprising, since the pattern is from the 70s!
This is my first attempt at a button down shirt from a vintage pattern, although I've made many from modern patterns. There were a few significant differences, but the one that made me grin was the lack of fusible interfacing. Of course, it wasn't available then. I actually had to construct the facing slightly differently for fusible. Not too tricky. There were also some instructions about how to finish your seams that began with "If you have a zigzag machine..." Cute, huh? Overall, I really love this pattern and it is perfect for Mitch, once I modernize the collar. A new TNT! Yay!

1 comment:

Grandma G said...

I've made several shirts for Grandpa from this very pattern... 'back in the day' when the pattern was new (and hubby wasn't a grandpa)! (So I'm kinda "vintage" myself. ;) ) I always thought it was kind of a waste (of fabric and time) to sew a 5/8" seam and then have to trim it off afterwards. Now everything has smaller seam allowances, which makes so much more sense.

I don't know when fusible interfacing was invented, but I used it many years ago, altho not on this shirt. It sure was a great invention! And it definitely makes appliqueing easier!