Friday, February 14, 2014

Iconic Patterns: The Sammy Cami

I had kind of a rough week last week - sick small people who shared their germs, no sleep, y'all know the drill. Once the 100 day stuff was done, I couldn't decide what I wanted to work on, but I knew it had to be something pretty effortless.
Thank goodness I had already printed and assembled the Sammy Cami pattern! (Not that it takes long - 6 pages, yo!) I traced the two pieces quickly, added a cheater FBA to the front piece and went to town!
Here's my superhero pose, cuz y'all, this baby was done in like a half hour!! Talk about instant gratification, and who doesn't need a dozen or so camis in their closet??
Here she is, without the shrug. Totally pro looking, right? The pattern, as I mentioned, is the FREE Sammy Cami from Iconic Patterns. The fabric is left over from this top and I love that I got to use it up. The shimmer is so fun. This pattern takes almost no fabric - perfect for using up little scraps.
Close up, the neckline and straps look awesome. True confessions, I used my coverstitch machine with binder attachment, but the pattern includes instructions for getting this finish with your regular sewing machine. Second true confession, I was in a hurry and twisted one strap when I was attaching them. Oops. But I'm wearing it anyway. The jersey is soft and I can't even tell the strap is twisted when the top is on.
Other than my FBA, I did add a couple of inches (like, 2) of length. I like my camis long, and I have a kind of long torso. I could still have gotten away with it as drafted, but I do like this length.
I went a little light on the FBA, since I didn't want the armholes to gape. They don't (barely), but I could probably use a bit more room in the bust. I'm thinking I'll add some width and ease it into the armhole binding. Otherwise, I'm pleased with the fit.
But the total best part - the straps aren't too long!!! I have never, ever in my life had a RTW cami with straps that I didn't have to tie up or rig to cover the girls, and isn't that the whole point of a cami?!?! I'm totally going to make up a bunch of these in every color.
Worn with, Jalie 2908 jeans and Tanit-isis vintage shrug (another free pattern!).

10 comments:

Lori said...

Your house sounds like my house this week except my kids are older but they still wanted their mom close by :). Love this new cami, such professional results. Another pattern company to take a look at, thanks.

P E Hudson said...

Adorable outfit! And, what posing!!

Lena Merrin said...

Thank you for sewing Sammy! I love the sparkle. Can I use your photos on my site please?

Heather Bee said...

NICE! You really know how to dress up a cami.

Katie Deshazer said...

Sure! That would be so fun! Thank you!

EmSewCrazy said...

I think you have sold me on this!

Annette Bell said...

You make it sound so easy and quick. It looks great. I don't have many good reasons for letting it sit, downloaded in my computer ready to print! I may need to get to this soon.

Levone said...

Nice cami! Love the way you styled it!

Kristy Chan said...

Love your whole outfit, you certainly look very good after having had the week from hell!

Sharon Sews said...

Oooo, love the sparkle you choose! Sorry about the week from h..., I remember those days well! I need to print out this pattern and give it a try.