Monday, December 6, 2010

Simplicity 2290 and Ottobre 03/2004-19 (and Otto 06/2009-3)

My sewing group at church just started working on PJ pants.  We're using Simplicity 2290, which is a part of their Learn To Sew line.  Thanks to Beth for recommending this pattern to me.  It is really great for learning the basics!  The instructions are very complete and clear, and the diagrams are bigger and easier to understand.  For this one pattern piece pants pattern there are 6 pages of instructions!  The pattern comes with all sizes from child size 4-5 up to adult XL in one envelope, which is nice.  I had this cute duckie flannel that was calling to be PJ pants for Logan.
Naturally, I couldn't stop at just pants.  Those duckies are too cute!  So I traced off Ottobre 03/2004-19, which is a basic sweatshirt pattern with bands at neckline and wrists and a stitched hem.
Ottobre appliqued their version with a fish motif, but I went with an octogon.  Logan has a bit of an obsession with polygons right now.  I used self fabric for the neck and wrist bands, partly because matching this particular shade of red was impossible, but also because the fleece is so soft and snuggly.
The fabric is more of the Black Friday fleece from Hancock.  Logan chose this dark red and told me he wanted me to make a shirt.  My turnaround time with this fleece purchase has been really fast!!  I haven't even had a chance to put it in the closet yet and already have made 3 garments from it!
Because of course, the Wee Professor needed a mini version to match his big brother!  For the wee one I reused Ottobre 06/2009-3.  Instead of binding the neckline, I just added an allowance and did a turned and stitched hem.  The fleece is already so bulky, I didn't want to add more layers of ribbing.  I'll be working on the mini PJ pants at sewing group on Tuesday!

7 comments:

Sarahbelle said...

All that really matters is that Logan likes them!
But they ARE wonderful!!!! I can't wait to see the 2 brothers in their matching PJ's!!

meli88a said...

I love it! So cute... especially the little bit that you shared about your darling's polygon fascination. I'm a nerd myself and find that so cute!

Beth said...

darling!!!!!
And bonus points for using your fleece quickly!

gwensews said...

Adorable!

Joy said...

Who isn't obsessed with polygons? They're so...shapely!?! ok, really bad joke.

I don't think I've seen an envelope neck in fleece before. Very cute!

Pippi creates said...

Love the pjs. I'm in the middle of making pjs myself at the moment, but a summer version as its getting pretty hot downunder. Cute little duckies ;)

amber said...

Sooo cute!! Gotta love snuggly pajamas this time of year. :)