Thursday, June 14, 2012

Simplicity 8333

There has been a lot of wedding talk* around here lately, and Myra was already a bit obsessed with brides, so she's been bugging me very interested lately in when I am going to sew her Barbie the promised wedding dress. Well, I don't really want to commit to the time I suspect it will take to make the Princess Katherine recreation right now (I do have a REAL wedding dress I'm working on!), so I decided to try out a different, but still fancy dress for Barbie's first wedding dress.
The pattern I used was part of my recent thrifting haul. It is Simplicity 8333, published in 1987. Although this isn't the "wedding" dress included with the pattern, I like it's lines much better than the fluffy, ruffly 80s wedding dress that is included. This dress is a simple wrap dress with a large collar. The skirt is full and gathered and it closes with a single snap at the waist. I used some scraps of taffeta left over from a previous wedding project and added a lace overlay to the collar, made of a swatch of Giselle stretch lace from fabric.com.
The bodice is actually pretty interesting. For Barbie clothes, it is extremely unfitted. In fact, the only seams are at the shoulders, so there is no shaping in the body at all. The wrap gives it some waist definition. The armholes are actually cut out of the bodice, clipped and turned under. All of the edge finishing is a simple 1/4 inch hem.
The veil is a large circle of organza, bound with satin binding and gathered at one edge. I topped it with some ribbon bows I had lying around and sewed on an alligator clip to affix it to Barbie's head. The clip is actually much too large and a bit unsightly, but it is easy for Myra to manage on her own, and I didn't want to spend all day fixing Barbie's veil.
Myra is thrilled with her new Barbie bride. She's always an appreciative child, but she was literally speechless when I showed her this. Myra's generally not one to cart toys around with her, but Barbie went everywhere with us.

* For those that may be curious, work on the wedding dress is proceeding well. We checked the fit on the lining this weekend, and only a minor tweak is needed, so I'm putting the bodice together now and we'll recheck the fit before I cut and assemble the lace overlay, There'll be a lot of precise work on the lace to do, and no chance to make fit changes at that stage, so I want it to be perfect before we proceed.

8 comments:

  1. It turned out very elegant and un-80's like, and probably fits better than if you had made the "fitted" version from the pattern. Somewhere in the time between when I/my sisters stopped playing with Barbie Dolls and when my daughter got her first one, Barbie got a new figure. Most of the old patterns don't fit at all now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! Both the dress, and Myra with her score ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice mom you are! The thought of clipping and turning a tiny barbie armscye would be a little too much for me. I like this bridal style, though--clean lines and not froufrou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wraparound Barbie dress is perfect for a girl of Myra's age, and it's wonderful that she is so thrilled with her Barbie's new bride dress. That should slow the Princess Katherine dress requests (it would be a hard dress for a little girl to operate anyway). I love Myra's dress from your last post. Have fun working on the real wedding dress this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great mum you are - the wedding outfit is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh--she's so marvelously tan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The inside shot of that dress is so tiny and cute! I'm happy Myra was wordlessly wowed. I can't wait to do the same when I have kids someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So precious! You're a good mommy!

    ReplyDelete