Saturday, August 20, 2011

Betcha can't make just one.

I've noticed an interesting phenomenon regarding this dress. No one seems to make just one! Nearly every sewing blogger who has stitched up Vogue 1250 has made it at least twice, often several times. I'm not generally one to reuse a pattern. I just like variety in sewing, life and my wardrobe, but since I made my first one in May, I've been itching to make another.
I've also really been wearing my Vogue 8724 a lot, so I decided to try it out in a maxi length. I wasn't sure the proportions would work, so I searched around to see if anyone else had done it. I could swear I saw a maxi version on PR, but I couldn't find it! Anyway, I decided to just go for it. I can always chop it short if I hate it.
But I love it!! I actually think it looks better on me than on Sandra Dee, which never happens. She always looks better in my clothes. Anyway, to make it a maxi all I did was lengthen the skirt portion of that wacky front bodice/skirt front and back pattern piece by a total of 22 inches. The side seams are straight, so the skirt ends up a column. It is the perfect length to sweep the floor when wearing 5 inch heels. I may shorten it an inch though, so that I can wear it with sandals for a more casual look. I will say, if you are thinking of doing this, make sure that your bottom hem is VERY stretchy. I coverstitched mine, and it is holding together, but I think a twin needle hem would pop right out the first time you took a long step. Alternately, leave the CB seam open below the knees and hem the edges for a sexy slit back there. Hmm, I may have to do that next time...
The only other alteration I made was to take a small wedge out of the back bodice. I folded out about 1/2 inch at the foldline around the waist level and tapered it out to nothing at the side seams. That took care of the puddling I got above my hips in the last version. I'm totally in love with my new maxi! It is comfortable, fits well and looks good. Seriously, have you made this pattern yet? It's amazing!

And thanks for all the sweet comments about my little guy and his romper. I'm glad he made so many of you smile. He makes me smile every day, and I'm so glad I was able to share him a little.

25 comments:

Lisa said...

Katie it is gorgeous , It looks like this pattern was born to be a maxi. This is next on my to do list .

Mariela Alethia said...

Great looking maxi dress.

Jenni Ryan said...

Your blog has gotten me inspired to start sewing clothes. The dress is absolutely amazing!

Maryissewfast said...

Your dress i gorgeous Katie! I think I may be the last on the planet to make Vogue 1250...I have it cut out, but sewing for everyone else has been a priority lately...may have to change that soon!

HeathersSphere said...

Your version is FABULOUS! You are totally stylin' in this!

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

You look fantastic. Great maxi. I've tried 1250 twice and both times it looked like crap on me. I wasn't able to put a name to the reason until I read your post. I get a ton of puddling down the front just above my hips. I won't be trying it again. I'll just bask in the glory of you havint a real winner.

Pam said...

Great maxi dress! I love it on you - by the way, here is my tip - watch out wearing Maxi's on escalators - I had a scary experience on an escalator in Atlanta.

I can't wait to see #2!

Mitch said...

Too bad ya'll can't see it in real life. HOLY SMOKES that's one hot woman

DeniseAngela said...

Love your maxi.....fabulous sewing!

Anonymous said...

It looks really great on you! Ilove it long.

Witch Hazel said...

I love maxi-length dresses, and yours is a showstopper. I've been resisting making any even slightly cowl/drape neck garments that are so in fashion lately because I'm not sure they'll look good with my chin...but I just LOVE both of your versions of this so much, I may have to change my mind and try this one out.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is just toooooo fabulous and you look amazing in this! I'm stealing this idea right away...having dinner with friends tomorrow night and I.MUST.HAVE.THIS for that! Thank you for also addressing the hem issues!

Jane M said...

I acn't tell which one I like the most. this definitely says summer and sultry breezes and tropical moonlight. Beautiful!

gwensews said...

You look so pretty in that dress. Very elegant. I hope you can take it out for a special night on the town (although I imagine that's a rarity for a mommie of 3)!

Marjie said...

Love the color on you! Your new maxi dress looks great.

And I reuse patterns a lot. I just have so much trouble finding a dress, top or skirt I like that I want one in every color when I do like it. I did this when I bought lots of RTW, too.

meli88a said...

Wow, HOT MOMMA! The length really makes a difference in the two versions you've made with this pattern.

Beth said...

Possibly my favorite version. Very, very cute.
Your armhole coverage is better than most.
I must comment on the chair--know it and love it. Do you have 3 of them? We have two.

Susan said...

I'm with Carolyn - I'm stealing this idea to make a maxi version of this pattern.

Eugenia said...

What a wonderful idea to turn this pattern into a maxi - it looks so fabulous and elegant!

Andrea said...

Fantastic job on turning the 1250 into a maxi dress. It looks beautiful on you. I love it.

Amanda said...

Lol! Great minds think alike...I maxi-mized mine too.

AllisonC said...

Fantastic, I've already made 2 dresses and a top from this pattern, maybe a maxi is next!

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Fantastic looking dress. I guess I'll have to hop on the 1250 bandwagon as well.

Rachel said...

That is beautiful!!

Sheila said...

Great changes, great fit=a very good look