Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Vogue 1250

Hear that sound? Yep, that was me, jumping on the Vogue 1250 bandwagon! This pattern has graced the curves of bloggers and PR members of every shape and size, and looks fabulous every single time. When I showed Mitch Adrienne's version, he sent me to the fabric store immediately.
Here is my  version. The camera just couldn't get the color right for some reason. It is actually a true purple, not blue at all. The fabric is a matte jersey from Hancock, which has a nice drape and skims the body beautifully. Of course, there is also some Spanx under there. I just had a baby, after all! And should you be wondering, this dress is nursing friendly. Between the stretch of the knit and the depth of the cowl, access is no problem.
The pattern is Vogue 1250, a DKNY design from the Spring pattern release. It only has 3 pieces, the front, which wraps to the back to form the skirt, the upper back and s back facing strip. The cowl is self faced. I was a little worried that the facing was going to be skimpy and flip out, but it stays put quite well. This is in part because it is sewn into the shoulder seam, giving a nice finish inside.
From the side, you may be able to see that the skirt is constructed all in one piece, with a dart over the hip. I'm not sure that I am loving that actually. It's not trivial sewing it so that dart stays flat. It would probably be easier to construct if the skirt had side seams. Perhaps not as interesting, though.
From the back, there is a waistline seam and a center back seam on the skirt. This is the only seam in the skirt portion. The back neckline is finished with a facing, which is just a strip of fabric folded in half and folded to the inside of the dress, then topstitched down. I know that several other sewists skipped the facing strip and simply hemmed the back neck, but my knit is a rather stable matte jersey, and it just didn't want to play nice with that treatment. The facing looks very nice and lies smoothly, but it is a bit more bulky than a hem would be.
I played a little fast and loose with the size on this pattern. Since there is only the one main pattern piece, there aren't a ton of opportunities to customize the fit. I used mostly a size 10, but graded out to the 14 at the shoulder seam, both the lengthen the sleeve a little and to allow for more shoulder and bust room. I also cut the center back seam of the skirt at a size 12 for a little more ease back there. I lengthened it 2 inches. I'm very pleased with the dress, and am planning to make it again in black, and perhaps in an interesting print. It is a very comfortable style and an easy sew. Carolyn wears hers with a colorful cardigan, which is so cute and perfect for the changing seasons. I can also see it layered with tights and a turtleneck in winter. Erica B made a self fabric belt for hers and Sigrid is styling hers with a wide purchased belt. How will you wear your Vogue 1250?

24 comments:

Kitschy Coo said...

Wowser, that is some dress! Looks amazing on you.

Victoria said...

You look phenomenal! I'm definitely going to get this dress at the next pattern sale!

Beangirl said...

WOW! hubba hubba. I can see why Mitch was so enthusiastic.

auntninn said...

Beautiful! Looks great on you and would be fantastic in black.

Anonymous said...

you look fabulous in that dress. It is one of those that if you are having one of those annoying days where you feel bad about yourself (we girls all have them) you can put it on and just stare at yourself and feel great :)

Aminat said...

Hulala!!. You look absolutely gorgoeus what a great color on you....I and might join the bandwagon too,

Shannon said...

Gorgeous dress- it looks great on you!

MushyWear said...

What a great style and color. It looks fabulous on you.

Amy Stanton said...

Gee, I wonder why Mitch was so enthusiastic about this dress...haha :) It looks AMAZING on you.

Stephanie said...

Your dress looks great. That pattern is on my list for the next sale.

Sarahbelle said...

Love it!!!
Did you raise the neckline at all? It looks much lower on Vogue's model than on you. (which is a good thing!)

Now for my real question, from your faithful followers, as well: HONEST answers only - how would this look on a lumpy size 20 body of your height? and what do you think of making it in Slinky knit???

Blog followers???

Karin said...

You look fabulous in this dress. I hadn't seen it before, but really love it. And the colour is magnificent on you. Beautiful!

Virginia's Daughter said...

Very nice! The color, the fit! Perhaps I should get on that bandwagon as well! Nice work!

SEWN said...

Wow! It looks fantastic on you. Beautiful!

Sarah C said...

Wow! I think I need to jump on that bandwagon right behind you! It looks fantastic! Great job.

Ann Made Studio said...

This dress look wonderful on you.

meli88a said...

Wowie. You look great in this dress!

Pam said...

Excellent dress! I picked up this pattern on a Vogue sale day at Joann's. I'm glad I did now that I see your wonderful result!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Amazing. Spanx or no you look fabulous!

gwensews said...

Ooh, la la! Fantstic dress. Certainly can't tell you had a baby recently.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

You look fantastic - so skinny after that baby! That dress is awesome, and I was getting ready to order one from PR, then I looked at the actual model. This dress is much better on you women with boobs - I'm afraid my cowl would look like hers, just hanging there over a bony chest. I have to remember that I can't order everything that looks great on you - boo.

Susan said...

Your version has a great "sass" to it. You look amazing!

Peggy's Closet said...

Your version of V1250 is stunning! Isn't it a great pattern? I just made 2 versions of it, one in the same matte jersey from Hancock's, but in pink. It is very flattering on you! ~ Peggy http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Another great version of this dress! Ummmm that's not just spanx making that dress look good - you bounce back well from having babies! Love this on you and you should definitely make it again.