Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Kwik Sew 3694

In the interest of sparking a little sewing mojo, I went hunting for a quick and easy knit top pattern. The last time Kwik Sew went on sale, I picked up 3694 on a whim.
You can't get much more quick and easy than this - 3 pattern pieces and only a couple of seams. The only tricky part was the layout. Since the pieces are asymmetrical, you have to lay them out in a single layer on 60 inch wide fabric. You do need the width, too. This pattern is a serious fabric hog!
The front and back pattern pieces differ only in the neckline, so all the seams are the same - no easing, just sew. I chose to make the small size, even though the pattern measurements put me squarely in the medium size range. I was going for a somewhat closer fit than the envelope models.
The casing on the side is formed with the seam allowances of the side seam, which are stitched down on either side and a self fabric spaghetti strap is laced through the casings and drawn up to gather the side. I bound the neckline with my coverstitch machine, so I didn't use the facing strip included in the pattern.
The fabric is used is a rib knit from fabric.com. It was originally a creme color, but I accidentally washed it with some bright red yardage, so now it is a pinkish tie dye. Oops. I used it as a wearable muslin of sorts, since I wasn't sure about the style. I really like it, but now I'm not sure that I want to use the fabric I had initially paired it with. It is a very fine jersey with a soft gold finish. It's very drapey, which is so different from this firm rib knit. I'm not sure I'll like it as well, but I do have a couple of interlocks I think would be awesome.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

I like it! It's different than just a regular tee with the casings/ties on the side and the dolman sleeves. Fun!

Karin said...

Cute! I like yours better than the pattern envelop.

gwensews said...

That's a beautiful top and you look just marvy in it!

Joy said...

This is an interesting style - I really like it. The batwings aren't extreme and the tie detail is great. It's perfect with your bell-bottoms, too!

Anonymous said...

I may have to pick up this pattern, it looks great!

Marjie said...

Usually, it's my husband who thinks something's colorfast and mixes colors! But at least he does all the laundry, so I'll never complain. Your top looks good in that heavy knit, but I think you're right that it wouldn't work well in a lightweight knit.

And I'm glad to see that you're not standing in knee-deep snow!

meli88a said...

What a fun design, kimono sleeves and ruching on the sides. You look great in it!

Lisette M said...

Really cute, and right on trend!