Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Yankee Doodle Sweetheart

Isn't she sweet! I finished her July 4th outfit today.Her dress is the Flower Girl Dress from Heather Ross's Weekend Sewing. Since I made Logan's shorts by her Huck Finn pant pattern, I decided to just have a Heather Ross 4th. I did change up the skirt, just making it tiered instead of the basic gathered skirt that the pattern calls for. I also added buttons to the straps. They are quite snug (or they will be once I move the buttons up a bit) and I wanted to be able to get the dress on and off with a minimum of fuss. This is a very sweet pattern. Pretty on, as you can see. It does run REALLY small. Myra (who is 10 months old) is modeling a size 2 for you, but with 1/4 inch seam allowances. I basted them at the 3/8 the pattern calls for and couldn't even get the bodice over her head. Thank goodness it worked at 1/4, or I'd have had to recut the bodice.
I also made her some bloomers. Since she's a crawler and her diaper is bound to show I always make bloomers to go with her dresses. I have been using Butterick 4110 as my TNT bloomer pattern, but I decided to give Ruby's bloomers (from Weekend Sewing) a try. They are great! The legs are elasticized with elastic thread in the bobbin. Couldn't be easier. They whip up in minutes, literally. I couldn't decide which of the two fabrics to make them out of, so on the advice of my excellent Mother-In-Law, I decided to just do both. And they were so easy, it was no big deal.
We are ready for the 4th!!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

I love what you are doing with that fabric! The pants & dress are both awesome!

Melissa said...

What a cute dress! I'm working on 4th of July outfits for my kids right now, too.

Amanda said...

Adorable! I just love that fabric and the dress came out so cute! What a sweet little model too! :)

Stephanie said...

I love the fabric that you chose. What a great look for your little one!

Jessica said...

I love the idea of using elastic thread in the bloomer legs. I've been dreading making bloomers because of all the casings and elastic.