Saturday, June 20, 2009

Stars!

I finished some patriotic shorts for Logan last night. I generally take pictures of Logan's clothes flat rather than on him, since this is the look I get when I try to take pictures of him.Ferocious, isn't he? Anyway, this morning, before I could take any pictures, Logan spotted the "star shorts" and had to put them on immediately! So, poor action shots are what we have.
This is the first item in my July 4th series for the kids. I made the shorts by Heather Ross's Huck Finn pants pattern from Weekend Sewing. Hey, what's more Americana than Huck Finn, right? This time I actually paid attention to the instructions and did the topstitching down the side and inside leg seams, which is pretty cute, although it gets a bit lost in this crazy print. The shorts are two coordinating prints, both obviously diagonals. The spacing is different, so since it was impossible to match the strips, I didn't even try. They are sort of a harlequin style, with each leg in an alternating fabric. I think they turned out pretty cool...
There is also a contrast pocket on the right bum, but this was the best shot I could get of it. That kid moves fast!!

Next in the series is a dress for Myra. I'm trying out the Flower Girl dress, also from Weekend Sewing, but as the sizing is a bit wacky, I'm going to have to fiddle with the pattern a bit. There is also an appliqued tee in the works to match Logan's shorts.

I have quite a bit more of this fabric, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I thought about Bermuda's for Mitch, to match Logan's, but I'm not sure he'd wear them (and I wouldn't blame him if he didn't - they're a bit wild), or a tiered skirt like the one from Amazing Mae. Or maybe I'll just hang on to it - Independence Day comes every year...

3 comments:

ljm said...

Super cute! And comfy looking too...I've been wanting to check out Weekend Sewing for a while now and this gives me more motivation.

Amanda said...

That look on his face is hilarious! Absolutely priceless! I just love the 4th of July themed fabrics too - very cute!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I thought I was the only "doctor mommy" that sews for her family! Nice to know I have support!. Beautiful blog!