Friday, July 25, 2014

Goodnight Sweetheart PJs: Dr. Suess style

Duncan has lately been busting out of his old PJs. Like, literally his toes poke out of holes in the footies.
I know.  And for some reason, there aren't any hand me down PJs in his size right now. Fortunately, it's Kids Clothes Week! Time for new ones!
They're a little large at the moment, but I know they won't be for long. He's growing up so fast. At least I can keep him in crazy printed PJs for a little longer.
The pattern I used is from the book, Sewing for Boys. It is the Goodnight Sweetheart PJs, which feature an external neckline facing with piping, button (or in this case, snap) closure and a shaped neckline. The pants are basic, but the pattern includes the option of cuffs and a fly opening.
I really LOVE the piping detail on the facing. It makes it look very professional, but it also makes edge finishing the facing super easy to do. I used white piping for this set. I originally thought red would be fun, but the red piping I had was just a touch too light, while the red snaps in stash were a perfect match. So, I went with white. It's more subtle, but I like it.
The fabric is a super soft flannel by Michael Miller. It was part of my very first Tennessee fabric purchase. I bought it at a local quilt shop, Tennessee Quilts. It is seriously fantastic quality, which is good. Dunc is hard on his clothes.
Despite the tough guy exterior, a cozy set of flannel PJs makes every guy happy.
Peek-a-boo!

5 comments:

Marjie said...

Hard to believe he was just an infant when you moved to Utah, and here you are across the country! And he's so big! Love the Dr. Seuss jammies - perfect inspiration for bedtime stories!

Jamie said...

These are so cute! I do wish the kids didn't have to grow up so fast!! :)

Kyle said...

The piping is great!

Sofie M said...

They are lovely with the white piping. That last photo is just beautiful. Just what a boy should do.

NZ sew said...

So cute!