Saturday, November 24, 2012

Vogue 1059 - third time's a charm

I'm not usually one to remake patterns multiple times. I love the idea of a perfectly fit TNT, but I crave variety and so despite my best intentions, I always reach for the new and shiny. But I think I can finally call these pants an honest to goodness TNT for me.
The pattern is Vogue 1059, and this is my third make. The first two are here and here. Both of those pairs are in such frequent rotation in my wardrobe that I knew I needed a third. This time, I pulled out all the stops.
The fabric is a lovely lightweight wool blend from Trim Fabric. I wanted these to have a sleek line, so I moved the zipper to the side - invisible, of course. After sewing up the side seams (which I saved for the last so that I could insert the zip through the yoke) I tried them on, and ugh. I couldn't zip them! Seriously!! This is my third make!! I think that I must have trimmed too aggressively when I was serging the side seams. That and the fact that this fabric is non-stretch (which the first two were) combined to almost kill these pants. I Persevered though, and ripped out my perfect zipper so that I could resew the side seams with a smaller seam allowance. Whew. They are perfect.
I also fully lined them with Bemberg rayon. Oh, how I love a lined pant! You just can't get more luxe than sliding into a fully lined pant. The lining also nicely conceals all of the pocketing and flappy bits from the back welt pockets.
I wore my new pants with my burdastyle turtleneck and a new shrug that I haven't told you about yet. It is totally fabulous, but it deserves it's own post, so stay tuned. In the meantime, I am so pleased to have that holy grail for we sewists, the TNT pant pattern. That said, I think after three pairs, I'm ready for something shiny.

8 comments:

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Ooooh, love the whole outfit! Kudos for hanging in there!

Jane M said...

Wonderful save and great looking ensemble. I love anything with a bemberg lining....feels cool and creamy is the only ay I can describe it.

Tanit-Isis said...

Yaaaaay! Love the pants and, of course, the shrug! ;) Congrats on the TNT... At least you can use it as a fit guide for future new shiny patterns. ;)

The Hojnackes said...

Love the pants, and can't wait to hear about the shrug.

meli88a said...

Oh yes, you really can't beat fully lined pants... in Bemberg, no less!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is a great outfit and both pieces work together so well. I have to tell you though whenever I feel like I'm sewing on full throttle, I come over here and realize that I'm a lightweight compared to you! :)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I can only imagine that sinking feeling when you couldn't zip the pants--I have definitely been there. But you totally pulled it off--those are so incredibly flattering!

Joy said...

Lovely - shrug and outfit! Phew on the saved pants. Why do we always sew perfection right before we have to rip it out? BTW, I found a copy of the 1059 pattern for $6. Can't beat that!