Sunday, October 7, 2012

Vogue 1059 jeans

Jeans are such a wardrobe staple for me in Fall and Winter, and while I still find skinny jeans fun and I'll continue to wear them while they are still in, I'm ready to head back to my old favorite - wide legs and flares.
I've also really wanted a pair of trouser jeans for the longest time. I tried some on once at Express (their pants draft is wretched on me), and I loved them so much, except for the extremely poor fit. But I've always remembered them - dark denim, welt pockets and minimal topstitching. They were gorgeous.
So between me and Vogue 1059, we made some. And I love them. I did make some changes from the last time I made this pattern. Clearly, the most critical change was to use a lightweight stretch denim instead of suiting. I also redrafted the front pocket facings and bag so that the facing extends to center front and is captured in the fly construction. I did this one these jeans, and I love the way it stabilizes the pockets and provided a little tummy control.
I did the welt pockets on these. I made a few alterations to these as well. The pattern calls for a double welt, but a single welt is my personal preference. I used this tutorial, and I thought it was great.
I flew by the seat of my pants and did the pockets without any practice runs. I was lucky they both look awesome. And poppykettle's tutorial is fabulous. That helped a lot!! I also lengthened the pocket bag by 2 inches. As drafted it was insanely small. Like, my phone didn't even fit in there. The front pockets are drafted quite short as well, and I lengthened those about an inch and a half. Now I can fit my whole hand in.
I also hemmed them to be really long. I didn't lengthen the pattern any, but the hem allowance is 1 1/4 inches, and I only took a 1/2 inch hem. I wanted to be able to wear them with my tallest heels and still have them brush the ground. I also only prewashed this denim once, so if it shrinks any more, I have a little insurance.
I wore them today with my tie neck blouse, and I think with the blouse tucked in, they have a fun 40s vibe. I was hoping to get them done in time to wear to sewing summit, and I managed it! Of course, now I think I need to make a Meringue skirt to wear to the class I'm taking with Sarai...

17 comments:

Karin - The F Girl said...

You look great in these trousers, very elegant. Great work! (And I love the combination with the blouse)

Kyle said...

Your work is always impeccable!
I too love the blouse/trouser jean combo...

Andrea said...

Love me some trouser jeans, and yours look fabulous! I like the idea of a little extra tummy control by extending the pockets, too.

gwensews said...

Yes, those jeans are 40ish styled and look fantastic on you. I love a wide-legged pant.

Lori said...

great looking trouser jeans.

Mary said...

Great silhouette on you-I love it.

Pam said...

These are wonderful - great job! I love them!!!

Pam said...

P.S. I've got to comment again: I love love these jeans trousers - but you know what a jeans nut I am. Wonderful pockets too (what a clean welt!!). I love big pockets as well - I don't know why? J. is very picky about his pockets too. Must be exactly the "right" size. I met Sarai at Sew LA about six months ago - very cool and sweet. Good luck with your class!

Cari Homemaker said...

Really great job. Very 40's, but also quite modern. They look a bit like Ann Taylor Trouser Jeans, with a perfect fit.

Rebecca said...

These look fabulous! They fit you so well! I too had a pair of trouser jeans from Express that I loved so much. I wore them until they literally started to shred between the legs. I may have to sew myself some, as I can never find any that are long enough to wear with heels, only flats. :]

angie.a said...

So cute! And so retro, love love love. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, Angie.A said pretty much exactly what I was going to say. So yeah...these are awesome, great job!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

These are fabulous! I saw them on Instagram but these pics are so much better!

Janine said...

These trouser jeans looks awesome and actually are a really refreshing change from skinny jeans - I think you are going to start a new trend around here.

Victoria said...

Great pants! They're so flattering on you!

leigh said...

I didn't know you made them! You are awesome! Also - I saw you in your pink linen shirt the other day and meant to tell you how awesome it was. Really great!

Joy said...

I love, love these! They really suit you, too. Being a mag. pattern sewer (mostly) I've never sewn a Vogue pattern, but this one really tempts me...