Monday, November 5, 2012

Fall Wardrobe Challenge: Completed!

I am so thrilled to have actually finished my Fall Wardrobe! There were some moments there that I didn't think it would happen, and I made some course redirections along the way. As a reminder, here is the wardrobe as it is currently constituted.
The individual garments were:
Vogue 8601 jacket in pink wool.
Vogue 1059 jeans
Colette Meringue in paisley cotton velvet
Sewaholic Renfrew in pinstripe rayon jersey
Ottobre 05/2007-1 "Vintage Blouse" in off-white tencel

For me, the most fun part of a wardrobe is seeing how it all goes together. I love seeing how people style their pieces to vary the outfits. Instead of individual outfit pictures, I thought it would be fun to group the outfits sort of thematically. If you want to see an individual outfit in more detail, click the links in the photo caption to go to that outfit on Flickr.
Outfit #1, Outfit #2, Outfit #3
I love how different these all look, despite all having the Colette Meringue skirt in common. I really thought this skirt was sort of limited, with the scallops being a very ladylike detail, but with a slinky top and thigh high boots, it definitely isn't demure!
Outfit #4, Outfit #5, Outfit #6
I think of this as my "mommy wardrobe" grouping. This is pretty much what I look like 90% of the time, particularly that first outfit in the group. I love the way the jacket adds a little extra oomph as well, and gives it a very different feel.
Outfit #7, Outfit #8, Outfit #9
This grouping is sort of cheating, but I really think tucking the blouse into jeans gives it another vibe. Adding the jacket changes the feel as well.

I'm really glad that I finished this wardrobe! All of the pieces work well together and with my wardrobe as a whole. There has been a lot of talk about cake vs. frosting sewing in blogland lately, and I know I really gravitate toward frosting, but sewing up some cake has been really great! And I'm thrilled that this was the impetus I needed to finally make that pink jacket. It's only been brewing in my head for like 3 years!

10 comments:

gwensews said...

That's a good wardrobe. Nice work! I like the white blouse in your previous post, and maybe you will make it again. A white blouse is essential and I don't think a girl can have too many.

Andrea said...

Great looking wardrobe, Katie. You've definitely shown the versatility of the Colette skirt - the way you've made it makes me consider it for myself, but I previously couldn't really see it for me. Love that vintage looking white blouse!

Cindy said...

You did a fab job with your wardrobe! I love how all the different pieces work together so well. The Colette skirt with boots and a slinky top definitely gives it a whole 'nother vibe! I'm impressed.:)

Jamie said...

Wow, good for you! Everything looks great and I love the outfits you put together. Perfect way of showing how versatile your pieces are! Fantastic job :)

The Hojnackes said...

Great fall wardrobe! I need to get on my fall sewing, but it is hard when it is in the 80s. On Friday, when it is supposed to dip down into the lower 60s I'll be in need! I just got my Renfrew pattern in the mail, so I think I'm gonna get that one made up this week. Then I'll have something warmer to wear this weekend when the colder weather hits (yeah, I know 60s aren't cold to most people, but it is here in the desert).
I love how the blouse tucked really changes the look of the outfit. I like it both ways, but tucked does look a little more dressed up.

Marie said...

Well done on the completion of your fall wardrobe. You have so many options for just those few pieces.

Marjie said...

Your wardrobe is wonderful. I'm so glad you got in some sewing time for yourself, after the Halloween costumes and so forth. (And if Logan's class needs a postcard from greater Scranton, PA, do let me know; I'd be happy to help. Kindergarten is a wonderful time.)

prttynpnk said...

Congratulations- an enviable assortment!!

Janine said...

Yes , I agree it is a great wardrobe with lots of interesting and quite different pieces but they work so well together.

Jessie Keating said...

Wow! You are such an amazing sewist!!! I envy your skills!