Monday, October 29, 2012

Sewaholic Renfrew, with the cowl

Yeah, so this is definitely one of those patterns you'll make more than once. It's fast, easy and fabulous. What's not to like?
This time, I made the cowl neck version, which has the same bodice as the scoop neck version, that I made last time. So by just switching a single pattern piece, you get a completely different look.
The fabric I used is a rayon jersey with lurex pinstripes. It was thin and curly and totally impossible to tame, so this was the perfect pattern for it, since it is simple and easy to sew. The 5/8 seam allowances were great here, since I was seaming away from all the curling. Generally, I prefer 3/8 or 1/4 seam allowances on a knit, but I may change my practice for extra curly knits, since this was so much easier.
The star of this view is the cowl. This is a detached cowl, as opposed to cut on, which is what I mostly have sewn. It is also cut in two pieces and seamed at the upper edge, which allows for shaping. These two factors make it lie very nicely against the neck, while still draping around the neckline in a graceful way.
It looks awesome with my new favorite jeans (Vogue 1059). I need a few more, I think. 

10 comments:

Shawn Stephenson Schumacher said...

I have yet to finish the first. This looks great. I need to get sewing on it.

Mary said...

wait wait....I need to jump on this bandwagon! Your top is so wonderful, especially the stripes on the cowl.

Andrea said...

Now I need that pattern. Looks great1

The Hojnackes said...

I love the stripes! I just ordered the pattern and already have fabric! I think I am starting with the v-neck.

Marjie said...

It's a great outfit. You need this top in a bright color, too, to set off your beautiful dark hair.

gwensews said...

I like the separate cowl. It does drape beautifully. Nice sewing!

Kyle said...

That looks GREAT!!!

Suzanne said...

Looks great!
I've been following you for a long time but don't comment that often. I have a question for you though. I haven't made much for myself yet but am attempting my first dress in 12 years. I would love if you could take a look at my blog post and give me any advice on my fitting issue. http://makingmorewithless.blogspot.ca/2012/10/the-worlds-ugliest-muslin.html
Thanks!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Love this version! I have the pattern but have only made it once so far....that knitting bug got in the way! Love your cowl.

Lynneb said...

I really like the cowl version of this pattern...must put it on my to do list! Your wardrobe challenge is nicely done, too, Kate.