Monday, November 26, 2012

Tanit-Isis Vintage Shrug

So, after the teaser on Saturday, were you dying to know where you can get your hands on this adorable shrug pattern for yourself? I suspect many of you actually recognized it. 
My failed attempt to look as cool as Tanit-Isis. At least you can see the drapey sleeve.
The pattern is from the lovely and talented Tanit-Isis, and is available for free on her blog. I know, how awesome is that?! Click here for the pattern.
I made this out of a houndstooth burnout knit from FabricMart. Since the pattern only has one seam , matching the "stripe" of the houndstooth was effortless as long as your layout was on grain. the edges are all finished with self-fabric bands, which makes for a very easy and quick make. From printing to wearing this took me about 2 hours, but that includes some kvetching about what fabric I wanted to use.
The shrug fastens with a button on the neckband. The pattern calls for a buttonhole, but this knit was way too thin to support a buttonhole well, so I just used an elastic loop. Isn't the button pretty? It is vintage glass and seemed appropriate for this.
The only trouble I has was that this knit isn't particularly stretchy and I should have taken that into account and made my front band a bit longer to compensate. I have some rippling around there that isn't very attractive up close. I'm pretty sure it isn't going to stop me from wearing this though.
I did make one alteration to the pattern, which was to lengthen the sleeves. I generally like a 3/4 sleeve personally, but I wanted to wear this over long sleeves. I just extended the sleeve length to the full width of the fabric, tapering in to the wrist. I love how snug this sleeve is, although in my not very stretchy knit, it is a little tricky to get the band over my hand. Live and learn. The 3/4 length wouldn't have this problem, even in a particularly stable knit, and the style is unfitted enough that the stretch isn't needed for fit. So, this was a trail of the pattern, and I intend to use it for a lovely soft mohair knit my mother sent me. I'm not sure that I want to finish the edges with the bands in that fabric, so I may play with some different finishes. I'll keep you posted with what works for me.

9 comments:

Tanit-Isis said...

Oh, so exciting! I'm glad you like it. :D I've heard the large size has essentially full length sleeves---I wasn't sure how much the length should increase with grading since there's no shoulder seam.

The mohair sounds divine, I can't wait to see it.

Karin said...

It looks great on you! The fabric you chose is just perfect too!

Pam said...

Looks fantastic Katie! I love it - and by the way, your TNT pattern for pants is perfect!

Anonymous said...

I did wonder about that when you posted your pants - I love the fabric you chose, purple houndstooth, gorgeous!

Cindy said...

Love this shrug!

Karenn said...

This is just perfect! It really balances the vintage with modern effectively. So cute!

Marjie said...

I love a good shrug. It keeps me nice and warm, but I can wear short sleeves underneath, so I don't end up with wet sleeves when cooking or cleaning. That purple houndstooth looks great on you!

Cennetta said...

Love the entire outfit.

Lynneb said...

That is so feminine and funky! Your fabric choice is excellant, and how nice that it's a freebie! Thanks for sharing!