Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Colette Meringue

I've wanted to sew the Meringue skirt ever since I got my copy of the Colette Sewing Handbook last Christmas, and since I am taking a class at Sewing Summit with Sarai, it seemed like the perfect time.
Really, what took me so long?! This was such a lovely pattern to sew. I used a piece of velvet that a good friend gave to me, and have been hoarding for just the right project, and this was perfect. The velvet has a lovely drape and flow, but still enough body to define the scallops beautifully.
I made a few very minor changes for fit. I added a bit of length above the hips to bring the waistline to my (abnormally high) waist. I also eliminated the front darts and lengthened the skirt about 6 inches. It is quite short as drafted and I wanted the finished length to be just below the knee.
I lengthened the back darts to accommodate the middle aged gravitational drift back there. I also moved the zipper from the side to the back. I never can get a side zip to lie smoothly over my hips.
I added a center back seam for the zip, but if you do this, there is no need to add a seam to the facing. Just be sure to mark the seamline on the scallop well so that the facing and skirt will match up. The seam adds a bit of bulk to the edge, particularly in my velvet, but with no seam on the facing it still lies smoothly.
Instead of facings at the waist, I elected to fully line the skirt and stabilize the waist with twill tape sewn into the waist seam. I have to mention the beautiful finish around the zipper here. The pattern instructions have you stitch the facing (or in my case, the lining) to the zipper by machine. It is a different method than I have used before and it is fabulous! The top of the zipper is smooth and flat without any lumps or bumps and the inside looks great. If you don't already own this book, it is worth getting for this method alone.
I can't believe it took me this long to get around to making this skirt! It was fast and easy and it looks great! I'll be making it again.

13 comments:

Linda L said...

Cute skirt

Lori said...

Very cute skirt, adding it to my list!

Cindy said...

The skirt looks great, Katie! I bought the book back in December last year but have yet to make anything from it. I'll have to go back and take another look. Have fun at Sewing Summit!

Karin said...

It looks great! The fabric you chose looks sophisticated rather than cutesy-wootesy which is always a danger with a scalloped hem. Bravo!

Beth said...

Great skirt.
Enjoy your fun at the summit.

Adelaide B said...

I've seen a lot of versions of this skirt, but this is the only one I have liked. It's lovely.

Pam said...

Adorable on you - and I love the black - so slimming but pristinely perfect! Great job and wonderful fabric choice!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is fantastic in the velvet! Would have never thought of this fabric choice - it is totally inspired!

Lynneb said...

Your fabric is great! Such a great skirt, Kate.

gMarie said...

this is great and I'm so glad your comments are back! Lovely skirt. Enjoy - I'll be anxiously watching to see if you get a new pink top to wear with it. g

Mary said...

Katie, this is perfect for the meringue. I have been dithering about what to use for that skirt as it borders on too young for me if a summery fabric is used. The velvet is inspired! Gorgeous outfit, as always.

Jodie said...

It's 5am (teacher, this is my few minutes with coffee in the morning) "middle age gravitational drift" just about made my coffee snort out my nose. It's a beautiful skirt and lovely in your fabric!

Victoria said...

Super cute skirt!!! Love your fabric choice and style. I forgot how great velvet is for skirts!