Monday, November 12, 2012

New Look 6130 peplum top (sort of)

I've seen so many cute peplum tops out there, and I am so glad that the trend hasn't faded yet, so I can jump on board. It seems like the major peplum top patterns that are en Vogue at the moment are Vogue 8815, BurdaStyle 08/2012-113 and New Look 6130. The first two have a darted bodice, which I am still a little shaky about fitting, so that left the princess seamed New Look as the clear winner for me.
I also really like the vee neckline, as opposed to the high jewel neckline of both the Vogue and burda patterns. All that fabric covering the girls just makes them look ridiculously large. A vee neck is a busty gal's friend.
The fabric is a cotton knit with about 20% stretch. I intend to make the "final" version of this top out of ponte, so this was a good muslin knit.
Unfortunately, the New Look bodice draft and I are not friends. I won't go into the ugly details of the 3 muslins - all failed. I finally gave up on it and pulled out Simplicity 2996, which I made a few years ago and was happy with the fit.
The back of the New Look bodice was actually darted and I always find that New Look patterns are gappy at the back neckline, so using the Simplicity pattern was a win in back particularly. Since I didn't really like the huge puffy sleeve on the New Look pattern, I just used the tailored sleeve from the Simplicity pattern, just lengthened to elbow length. Since I made the top in a knit, and the neckline is fairly open, I didn't bother with the zipper in back and just cut on the fold.
For the neckline, I made a simple band, mitered at the vee. It wings up a little at the shoulders, so I think I need to shorten the bend just a teeny bit, but otherwise I am pleased with how it looks.
The part of the New Look pattern that I used unaltered was the peplum, which has cute little pleats at the princess seams. Since I had used a completely different bodice, the placement lines on the pattern weren't in quite the right spot, so I just walked the peplum pieces along the bodice from either side, and pleated when they met at the seam. It was a little fussy, but it worked.
And dear readers, lest you doubt the measure of my devotion to you, allow me to assure you otherwise. I braved a snowstorm of epic proportions to snap these little shots. The sunlight off the snow made for great lighting! But it was a bit chilly.

16 comments:

Cindy said...

Brrr! It looks cold out there! The top looks great..especially paired with the skirt and belt.;)

gwensews said...

That's a pretty top. Actually, the whole outfit looks good. I like the belt. Oh, but that snow! Standing in it with heels just shows what one will sacrifice for fashion!

Elizabeth Made This said...

What a great silhouette on you, and I totally agree about the V. It just keeps everything looking put together. You must have gotten the same storm that we had here, but it looks like you got more snow. The mountains always temper whatever we get, but dang it is C-O-L-D right now.

Victoria said...

Cute, cute, cute peplum! Looks great on you! That pattern is definitely a winner:)

Beth said...

Great outfit.
I didn't comment on L's cords, but I like them, too.

Mary said...

What a great looking outfit! You look hot, not cold :-)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is fantastic on you!

Karin said...

It looks better on you than the dress-makers dummy. Always the sign of a great piece of clothing!

Marie said...

Your new top looks fantastic, especially in that outfit. Look at all that snow!

Marjie said...

I'm not normally wild about peplum tops, but the belt really makes it! I like U necked tops in addition to V necked. You're right; too much fabric is wrong on busty gals.

And my boys would be jealous of your snow. I'm hoping we don't get any to mess up Thanksgiving travel for family and friends.

Sigrid said...

Beautiful top and great outfit.

Lori said...

Super great top, it looks fanastic on you

MushyWear said...

All the changes you made on the top sure worked out. It looks fantastic. I appreciate reading your thoughts on the pattern. I recently picked this one up as well and was curious about the fit.

Tanit-Isis said...

So cute! I was at the mall (shudder) with the tweens last weekend and yep, peplums everywhere. Still haven't quite had the guts to try one myself...

Cennetta said...

Bravo! You worked out all of the kinks. You look fantastic. Snow! Oh no. I'm certainly not looking forward to it. Lol I wish we could start Summer all over again.
Lol

prttynpnk said...

I like the little pleat at the waist and I like the princess seams, I may have to try this one, since i love 8815 so much. You look wonderful!