Sunday, November 18, 2012

Go To Leggings!

Myra REALLY didn't need new clothes, but when Andrea released the new Go To Leggings pattern, I had to try it out. So many cute details!! (And if you haven't been to her shop, be sure to click the link. She has an amazing collection of PDF patterns from all of your favorite designers.)
I also made another Ottobre cross-front tee, but since I just made one last week, I won't bore you with that.

This pattern has so many options to fancy up your leggings that I had a hard time deciding which one to try first! Since we still have snow on the ground, I decided the ruched leggings looked nice and cozy. Of course, Myra insisted on the skirt, which is included in the pattern. You can make it with the leggings or alone.
Isn't the ruching great? Myra says her pants are ruffly. She told me that she wants me to make all of her pants like this now. It was really easy to do, and the pattern instructions are really great, but I thought I'd share my little method for keeping my elastic ruching straight and where I want it.
I like to use clear elastic tape for ruching, since it stretches really far and has really great recovery, but it can be a little slippery and hard to control. To make my job a little easier, I always draw a chalk "I" along the line where I want my ruching to be, with the long line where I'm stitching my elastic, and the top and bottom marked clearly, so I know when to start and stop stretching the elastic. It also helps to cut your elastic an inch or two longer than you need and mark the actual length you need on the elastic itself (I use a Sharpie on clear elastic). Then you have the "tails" of elastic at the beginning and end to hold on to as you stretch. Just match your marks up with the top and bottom of your "I" and away you go!
The fabrics I used were a cotton jersey print for the skirt and top contrast, and some ITY left over from this dress for the leggings and shirt body. The cotton was one of those thin, curly jerseys, but it paired well with the slinky ITY. For the ruched leggings, you definitely want a fabric that isn't too bulky or it won't ruche well. The ITY was perfect in that regard, and it is very comfortable.
Myra LOVES her new leggings, and I love this pattern. It goes all the way up to a size 12, so I know I will get a lot of use out of it. Myra will definitely be getting the keyhole capris next Spring. Off you go then. Go get your pattern!

12 comments:

Kyle said...

Thanks for the tip about the elastic and the rouching!
Super cute outfit going on there. :)

meli88a said...

Very cute, I wish I had go-to leggings too. Your little lady has some sass!

gMarie said...

I still think that would be a fabulous workout outfit. Now to search for the perfect fabric. g

Mary said...

adorable outfit and Myra loves the camera :-)

Kris C. said...

Very cute! I like the pattern....might have to get that for my niece....

The Hojnackes said...

So cute. One of my daughters just loves the skirt/leggings combo. I am so glad you shared the link, because I definitely need the pattern!

Andrea from The Train To Crazy said...

Love them!! Yay!

Suzanne said...

Cute outfit! I probably would never have thought to cut the elastic longer - great tip!

Marjie said...

Cute outfit, and very obliging model you have there!

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll use it on a jacket I'm working on.

Kimberly said...

I have every intention of using this pattern and your tips in the coming month.

sewVery said...

What an adorable outfit! I've have the leggings pattern, too, but I haven't had time to try it out yet. This makes me want to get to it even sooner!