Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sewaholic Renfrew Tee

One of the classes at Sewing Summit that I was very excited about was the Make and Take Knit top, taught by Sunni Standing and featuring the Sewaholic Renfrew top to learn on.
If you've been hanging out here for long, you know that I am pretty experienced at sewing knits, but the point of the class was to learn to sew them on a regular sewing machine, and since I got my serger, I haven't used my machine much at all for knits, and I really was looking forward to learning some new techniques for that.
I was also pretty excited about the Renfrew pattern. There has been all sorts of buzz about it around blogland, and I have yet to hear anything negative. You won't get any here either. Love this pattern! The only change I made for fit was to do my usual cheater FBA on the front pattern piece, grading out from a Sewaholic 6 to a 10. I was a little worried that grading out 3 sizes was going to get me in trouble, since I only need 2 sizes in Jalie. No problems though - it eased in beautifully.
Here is a fun touch I added, since I was using a regular sewing machine, rather than the usual coverstitch for topstitching. The instructions had the neckband topstitched with a zigzag, which I think always has a "Becky Home Ec-y" look. I used a decorative stitch and I think it looks pretty fun, and has a ton of stretch as well. Of course, a twin needle would have also been an option here, and would have given a nice professional look.
The fabric I used is a cotton-lycra from Girl Charlee, and is it ever lovely; soft and stretchy with great recovery and beautiful drape. I do love their cotton-lycra knits. I am very glad that I took this class! Sunni did a great job helping those who were nervous feel comfortable with knits and I think the pattern she chose was perfect, easy fit with minimal hemming. I know I'll be using it again! I already traced the cowl neck version...
I linked up to Make It, Wear it on The Train to Crazy today. Be sure to go check out all of the other awesome projects!

6 comments:

Lori said...

Super cute top, I have to get this pattern.

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

I love that decorative stitch you used!!! Much better than the typical zig zag - very well done!

gMarie said...

I've been eyeing that pattern for a while. It turned out fabulously. I love the polka spots! Plus - Girl Charlee has fabulous fabric, doesn't she? g

The Hojnackes said...

I have this pattern on my list to buy. I love the dots!

Steph said...

Very nice! I laughed at Becky Home Ec-y. I'm pretty experienced with knits too, but after a 2 year garment sewing break, I sewed my first knit dress and tried to finish the neck binding with a long zig zag. I instantly HATED it and then remembered that I always hate that look precisely because of the Becky Home Ec-y look. I proceeded to pick it all out and drag out my cover stitch to finish it properly.

Lynneb said...

I love this pattern.Your Renfrew looks great I think you'll find you wil make many, many more versions. Thanks for the fabric link, Kate.