Friday, May 18, 2012

Stretch & Sew 200

Apparently Pinterest is finally coming through for me. This is the second project in a row that I copied from a pin (or two). I've been sort of obsessed with striped tees with contrast yokes lately. I like the pink on this one. This one has a comfy, casual vibe. But this one is my favorite. I love the wider stripes and the way the black yoke blends seamlessly into the striped body.
Not bad, eh? I used Stretch & Sew 200 as the basis for this top, and it couldn't be more perfect. Thank you, Debbie for sending it my way!
I chose the view with the interesting square neckline. The great part about this was that the pattern pieces were drafted in parts that you taped together for the different necklines. The division line was the perfect place for the yoke, so all I had to do was add seam allowances. Sweet! The neckline is finished with a fold over facing, which I really think is great for a knit top when done well. I love that there is no circumferential seaming at the neckline to restrict the stretch. The facing is stitched down to the raglan seams, so it doesn't flip out.
I was a little slapdash with my stripes during the layout, so I'm pleased with how well they matched up, particularly across the raglan seams. There is a little mismatch at the side seam where I eased in my cheater FBA, but otherwise, I was able to convince the stripes to match up nicely. The only other mods I made to the pattern were to shorten both the sleeve and the total length. As drafted, it is quite a long top, which I generally like, but I wanted this to be hip length.
I wore it with my New Look 6082 cropped pants. I really like these pants, but they look a little off balance with the longer tops I generally wear, so this length is perfect for them. This is such a comfortable outfit - I feel like I'm wearing PJs - but I think still pretty chic.

10 comments:

Sarahbelle said...

The shoes!!! Oh! The shoes!! I love them -- they look perfectly comfy-chic with this channeling-Audrey-Hepburn look.

That's a great daytime look.

Sam Rose said...

Your last picture reminds me of Sandra Dee. So cute. I think the shirt turned out fabulously.

Marjie said...

I'm sure the stripe mismatch doesn't show at all, given that you're chasing after 3 little ones all day! Cute outfit, and great new top.

Lori said...

Great top, love the stripes and color block, so trendy. There is a Hot Pattern that is similar to what you created.

Susan said...

RTW doesn't always match them either. I think you are rocking your look. Pinterest has some great inspiration pieces.

Diana said...

This top is super and looks great on you. So retro!!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

So cute - love this outfit!

MushyWear said...

The stripe top is fantastic and it does look perfect with your cropped pants. Nice job!

Lynneb said...

Very cute top, Kate! Very cute outfit!

Joy said...

Very nice! I like the yoke with the stripes.