Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jalie 2921

Whew, I am so glad Blogger is back up! I was going crazy! Since I got to sew all day yesterday, I have a ton of things to show you. First up is a tee I actually stitched up a couple of weeks ago, but was waiting on the coverstitch to hem.
The pattern is Jalie 2921. (If you don't want to deal with shipping from Canada, you can also get it here and here.) This is such a fun pattern to sew! As many have said in PR reviews, the construction is really interesting and the instructions are sort of strange until you actually do it. You basically sew up the shoulder seams, sew on the collar/scarf, then roll the whole shirt up inside the scarf and stitch it closed, leaving a gap for turning. It doesn't look like it's going to work, but it does, and encloses all the seams beautifully.
Here it is with the scarf untied. The fabric I used is a thin cotton lycra jersey. It wasn't the easiest to sew, as it curled like crazy, which is tricky with Jalie's 1/4 inch seam allowances. Fit-wise, I used the size that corresponds to my high bust (an S), and then graded out to my full bust size (a U)  from the underarm, tapering back to the S at the waist. I altered the front pattern piece only.
Here is what that looked like. I'm pointing at the original pattern line so you can see where I graded it out. Since that altered the front armscye, I also had to alter the sleeve to fit.
Jalie's sleeve is symmetrical front to back and can be cut on the fold, but since I only altered the front armscye, I only needed to alter the front sleeve. I traced the back sleeve in the size S, then for the front, traced the sleeve cap at the size S, but extended it out to the line for size U. I notched the front so that I would remember which was which when constructing the top. When I sewed it together, I eased the front into the back, concentrating the easing around my bust point so that I would have the added fullness where I needed it.
You can't tell at all that there is a length mismatch on the side seam. I'm so pleased with the way this fits, I think this will be my new FBA method for knit tops, particularly Jalie tops.
Of course, this gave me a chance to try out the narrow coverstitch. It's so pretty! The capability of doing the 1/8 inch coverstitch was what decided me in terms of which machine to buy. The Brother does it and the comparably priced Janome doesn't. Since I think this is the stitch I will use most, that made the decision a total no brainer, and so far, I am really happy with my machine.

17 comments:

Peggy said...

Love, love, love this top! I've been thinking about getting this pattern, and now I definitely will. It fits you beautifully and is very flattering. I'm also impressed with your coverstitch prowess; I just purchased a Babylock coverstitch, and my results are so-so as of now--I think I need to fool with the tension and practice on some scraps.

Peggy
http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/

Cindy said...

Blogger being down about drove me out of my mind too!

The top is great and that coverstitch hem is fantastic! You look so pretty in you new top.:)

HeathersSphere said...

Such a very stylish and flattering top on you!!! It looks like you had SEW much fun with the coverstitch. Uh-oh, you convinced me to get this pattern...

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is so cute on you! And I know what you meant about blogger...

Pam said...

I absolutely LOVE this T on you - no kidding. You're post baby body is amazing. I am going to have to get this pattern - I wondered how it would look on a more full figured body and Wow! I love it!! Ordering now.....

Tammy said...

I have this machine too. There are more expensive coverstitch machines out there, but this one does everything I need it to and it has worked perfectly - once I read the instructions!

Beth said...

Love this shirt--so cute. It is a good fit--thanks for including how you did it. This top is on my list to try.

Karin said...

This top looks great on you! The fit is perfect and it is a cute design.

Karin said...

Hurumph! Blogger ate my earlier comment!

I just wanted to say that this top looks great on you. The style suits your figure and it is really cute with the polka dots.

Nancy Winningham said...

This turned out really well. Good job!

Mary Nanna said...

Very very pretty - I love this top on you. I am also thinking it's time I got myself a coverstitch.

Rebecca said...

Your top turned out wonderfully and fits so well. I love that fabric. :]

Sue said...

This is a great pattern and I love the top you have meade from it - I am sure you will make many more!

Joy said...

This is a lovely top! I've been eyeing the pattern for a while.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Gorgeous top, and awesome coverstitching - congrats on getting a machine you love!

MushyWear said...

I love the fabric you used for this top and all the fitting you did really shines through. Very nice!

Unknown said...

Love your top! I just bought this pattern and can't wait for it to arrive to stitch it up.