Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Simplicity 8170

Myra hit a crazy growth spurt last month, and suddenly many of her dresses and PJs are too short. Since she still has some dresses that are wearable, the greatest need was for jammies.
This is "vintage" (1977) Simplicity 8170, which I made for her last winter. Since they were a little big on her then, they are fitting her well now, and we both really like the style.
Here is the back view. I'm quite pleased with how well I lined up the yoke across the button placket. The fabric is a cotton flannel from Hobby Lobby, which was a gift from Myra's grandma, given the same time as the flannel for these PJs for Logan. Myra chose the rainbow rick rack trim. I thought it would be horribly tacky, but it actually works and it definitely fits Myra's colorful personality.
Myra also selected these sweet vintage buttons from my stash. I had a hard time snipping them from this adorable little card they came on. Isn't that cute?! It was probably cuter before the Lil' Lambee lost his head, but still...
For the button loops, I took the easy way out and stitched some clear elastic hair loops into the back opening. There isn't a seam here, so I just had to topstitch them down, and I don't really love how that looks, but it is functional.
I'll be pretty sad when Myra outgrows this pattern. We've gotten some really sweet jammies out of it!

ETA: I was so sad thinking about how much I liked this pattern that I just bought the next size up, and in the meantime found a new place to buy vintage patterns.

9 comments:

BConky said...

Love the button card, they were so cute back then. Cute PJ's and perfectly pink for little girls.

gwensews said...

Sweet dreams in sweet little pajamas. What a cutie.

Cindy said...

Cute! I wore pjs like that when I was a little girl.;)

Sunni said...

They are so cute and one absolutely must have some cute jammies in life! I recently knocked out a couple of pairs and couldn't be happier with them! I love those vintage buttons and the little card is definitely sooooo sweet! Maybe you can use the leftover card as a bookmark?

KID, MD said...

Thanks! It makes me long for "days gone by".

KID, MD said...

Love that idea! The card has just been sitting on my sewing table - I can't bear to throw it out! I think I'll tuck it in a sewing book for safe keeping.

Sarahbelle said...

Wonderful!
Donna has such great taste in fabric, and I think the rainbow rickrack is wonderful. Although, I'd love to see that same rickrack embellishing a plain white, or pastel-on-white stripe or dot dress for HRC.

Cute, cute jammies!

Kyle said...

Awww, very cute. and oh no for Lil Lambee losing his/her head....the bookmark idea is a great one!

Marjie said...

How lucky for Myra that she gets jammies to suit her vibrant personality! I'm sure they're much warmer than store-bought, too.