Thursday, January 5, 2012

A few words to the wise

Yesterday morning I had the scare of my virtual life. I clicked in my email and was redirected to a page saying that my account had been deactivated due to a Terms of Service violation. It wasn't just my email either; my entire Google account was gone. No warning, no explanation, just gone. Oh. My. Goodness. There was a "contact us" link on the page where I filled in some little boxes and was told that they would only contact me if there was any "change in status". What the crap does that mean?? You are obliterating my online presence and you don't even have the decency to have some sort of auto reply set up? WTF!!!

Anyway, as you are reading the blog now, I obviously got my access back, but several hours I spent agonizing made me realize that I was not prepared for this sort of thing to happen. You get no guarantees in cyberspace. So, I wanted to pass on a few little pieces of advice. The first, if you are a Google account user (ie, your blog is  hosted by blogger/blogspot) be sure that you have enable 2 step verification. It adds a layer of protection against hackers, and also allows you to recover your account more easily. Secondly, even if you are not a Google blogger, be sure that your blog is backed up somewhere. There are several online services that provide blog backup as well as a couple of programs that allow you to back your blog up to your computer's hard drive. Another interesting option is the online Wayback Machine, which is a web archive that collects websites. If you direct it to your blog it will collect a "snapshot" of your blog at that time which will be saved in the archive. My blog had been archived in May of 2010, so much of my content was still there.

I would not wish the morning I had yesterday on anyone. Please protect your online presence! You never know when you'll need it.

In sewing news, I know it's been a little quiet around here. I am working on my coat, but there is a ton of handwork, so it is slow going.
Pretty, eh? This is just a practice buttonhole, but they are coming along nicely. I'm catchstitching down all my seam allowances, so that is slowing me down a little, but I think the end result will be worth it. I can't wait to share it with you!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figured something hinky was going on when I tried to read yesterday and got some awful error message. I'll have to figure out backing up mine in Wordpress. I'm sorry you had such an icky day trying to figure it all out, but I'm glad that you got back your work!

The coat looks like it will be beautiful. Enjoy the catchstitching--it's slow but I think peaceful work...and definitely satisfying when you can steam the life out of that seam afterwards and get those nice flat seams.

Judith said...

How scary was that!!! Not a great way to start the day at all. Could I ask, how do you 'enable 2 step verification???' I certainly want to make sure I have in place - thanks for the warning...

Cindy said...

Thanks for the heads up...after reading your post I promptly enabled 2 step verification on my blog.

I can't wait to see the finished coat!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back. Love reading your blog .
Brenda in the Boro UK

Jane M said...

Wow, I will definitely follow this great advice. In the meantime wonderful fabric.

sewnovice said...

Where did you find such a gorgeous houndstooth fabric?

Janine said...

I am so glad this worked out - yesterday I tried to click onto your latest post and received a message saying your blog was no longer available but then a few hours later it was all working so I just thought it was glitch on my side . Thanks for the advice as well.

Tawny said...

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. It was because I had switched my account profile info over to my Google+ and then continued to comment on blogs and post and everything. It looked like two profiles were using the same blogger account. They shut down everything and I didn't get it back for a day and a half. Gah! Which is part of the reason my awesome hubby got me a website for Christmas.

Doesn't it feel just horrible to think of all your work being locked up like that? Brutal.

I'm glad everything worked out for you and great advice to prevent it from happening again.

angie.a said...

If you use blogger, you can also archive your blog. I haven't done it since switching to the "new" blogger, but I do go in every 6 mos or so and save an archive, just in case. Better safe than sorry!

Kristy Chan said...

oh thank you for this advice - I got back from holidays to the nasty surprise that my account had been blocked because it had been hacked, and while I sorted it out this time it certainly did freak me out. I will definately back my blog up now!

Witch Hazel said...

That really is amazing fabric!

I'm so glad you got your account back. Hackers. :(