Thursday, August 18, 2011

Simplicity 4711

Now, I realize that I speak with a maternal bias, but seriously,
Is that not the CUTEST BABY EVER!!! Yes, half that genetic material and the romper were provided by me. Grandma crocheted his sweet little blanket.
Here is the romper without the distractingly adorable child. The pattern is Simplicity 4711, alas now OOP. This copy was a generous gift from Amber. Thank you so much!! It is a lovely pattern and I really enjoyed sewing it up. For my average sized 8 month old, I sewed a size small, which is pretty much perfect. (Simplicity seems to think this is a 3-6 month size, but Duncan wears a 12 month in RTW. Be warned.) I did use a 3/8 seam allowance at the waistline seam to give me an extra 1/2 inch of length. I think it would have fit fine without, but the extra wiggle room is nice.
Here is the back view. As you can see, the closures are in the back, and extend down into the shorts with a continuous lap placket inserted into the CB seam. If you've never done a continuous lap before, this is a great way to start. It's much easier putting it into the seam than it is slashing an opening. I used teeny little 3/8 buttons, which are are really adorable, but as a 3 time mommy, I should have known better. Getting those things buttoned onto a wiggly 8 month old was not easy!! Next time - snaps.
There are snaps in the crotch for diaper change purposes. Simplicity calls for snap tape here, but I have never liked using that stuff. I used a couple of interfaced bias strips, which I applied like a binding on the underlap and a facing on the overlap, then applied the snaps after the fact. I also sewed these with 3/8 seam allowances rather than 5/8 so that the snaps would end up centered on the seam line.
The main fabric is a cotton seersucker from Joann (I think) and the collar and tie are cotton broadcloth from FabricMart. I used 1/4 inch twill tape for the trim rather than ribbon. I think it has a nice texture with more "boy" appeal than shiny ribbon. It also bends around the curved hems nicely. I also topstitched the collar, which the pattern doesn't call for. It isn't obvious, but I rather like the effect.
The collar application was interesting. The neckline is finished with bias tape, and only the back half of the collar in enclosed within the tape. The front half comes down into the two points, which are simply tacked to the front bodice. The little tie is a separate piece, also tacked down. If you make this for a little one, be sure to tack that sucker down securely. Duncan has been chewing on it all day.

21 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh my goodness! The cuteness is overwhelming!!

Beth said...

In addition to the genetic contributions and the sewing of the darling outfit--great photography! How did you capture that split second one eyebrow raise?
Cutest NEW thing on the internet this morning!

Lisa said...

What an incredibly cute baby :-))

Amy Bailes said...

Yes, he's cute - very cute. Love his smile.

Jillybejoyful said...

OK. I admit it. I just don't look at all the baby & kid clothes, because they're simply not relevant in my life. But you (or more accurately, your baby) made me look. & I'm grinning ear to ear as a result of the Cute Factor!!!

Oh, & thank you for posting pics of the romper sans distraction - it's a cutie too!

Aminat said...

OMG, he's so adorable....

Uta said...

How can you even sew with such a distraction around? Cutest baby in cutest romper ever. (Mine excluded, of course!)

gwensews said...

Yes, that is a sweet little baby. I'm thinking he looks like his daddy. Does he?

Kyle said...

How cute is that ? Both the baby and the outfit. I love sailor styling!

meli88a said...

That is one sweet and smily baby! I hope your other babies didn't hear what you said... ;p

Beangirl said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee! so CUTE!

nice romper too.

Sewtellme said...

He is super cute! You will understand if I can only admit that he is the cutest little boy baby ever right? LOL

Rachelle said...

You sure do make litlle cutie pies :-) his romper is adorable and what a gorgeous blanket.

Lilian said...

Ahh..these pictures brought a smile on my face. He is definitely very, very cute. And his stylish outfit is not bad either.

Marjie said...

That is one adorable baby! I do so miss my baby days. His romper is almost as cute as he is, and Grandma's blanket is great, too.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Well, as a non-related pediatric professional, I concur that that's a stinking cute baby! (And I'm famous for sending kids to Genetics because they look funny, so this is high praise indeed.)

Pam said...

How adorable is that baby!! And, the blue eyes match Grandma's crocheted blankee. Wonderful pictures. I predict a career as a male model/plastic surgeon or orthopedist - what expression!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

So cute! Love that romper, what a classic children's look.

Big in Japan said...

That baby is so cute, he's giving MY super cute niece a run for the money!! ha ha
The clothes are cute too.....

Anonymous said...

Indeed the cutest baby besides my Sam. ;) I think he has your smile.

SEWN said...

That is one super cute kid. :)