Monday, August 8, 2011

Simplicity 2377

August is a crazy birthday month around here. Myra is on the 10th, then Mitch on the 14th, Rina (my sister) on the 26th and Logan caps the month on the 30th. Although I sew for the kids all the time, so they pretty much take for granted that they have hand sewn clothing, I still like to have something special made for their birthdays. This year we are aided and abetted by Oma, who got them both some adorable fabrics when we were visiting her last.
Myra has outgrown her the pattern I have used for peasant dresses of this style, so this time I used Simplicity 2377. It is a basic raglan sleeve bodice with elastic at the neckline and sleeve openings. There are 2 skirt options, one a gathered dirndl and the other is tiered. There is also a second sleeve option - a small ruffled sleeve - that is pretty darn cute. I really like this pattern, as it comes together quickly and the end result is a comfortable, easy to wear dress that is really adorable.
Even with a busy fabric, I always find the bodice a bit plain. To this one I added a big organza ribbon bow and two ball buttons. The  pattern includes quite a few cute embellishment suggestions as well. I've made this style dress enough times that I didn't even take the instructions out of the envelope. I realized later that this pattern also includes ties at the waist. I don't think I'd have used them if I'd realized they were there, but perhaps for an older child they'd be cute. Myra doesn't really have any waist definition yet. The only other change I made was to use elastic shirring for the sleeve opening rather than a fold over casing. I like the little ruffled edge it creates. The pattern includes up to size 8 in the envelope, so I'll get to use it for a few years yet!
And Logan finally wore his helicopter shirt!! It's been nearly 2 weeks - I was starting to worry. He says he really likes it though, and so do I.

11 comments:

Beth said...

Yeah, he wore it!
Cute dress for Myra--I will have to try that sleeve. Good thing you have a larger size option in that dress.

Marjie said...

A fluffy dress for a birthday just seems extra special, doesn't it? And with princesses all over the dress, well, that's a little girl's dream! It's really an adorable dress, and Logan looks great in his helicopter shirt. Hope you're all enjoying your new, cooler weather.

Cindy said...

Whew! August is really loaded with birthdays for you all.
I think the buttons and bow added just enough detail to the bodice. And I'm glad to see the shirt on...it looks great on him!

Eugenia said...

Myra's new dress is so pretty - the fabric is beautiful and very fun and I love the bow! Glad that the helicopter shirt got a well deserved outing!

meli88a said...

How cool is that helicopter shirt? He's going to remember that shirt forever.

gwensews said...

Aren't Oma's the best? That's an adorable little dress. And Logan is smashing in his heli print. I hope you are getting settled in your new home. A big change.

Sascha said...

My mom is also "Oma". We have two of the kids birthdays in August. I planned an adorable outfit for Vinny and almost had it done in time. The sewing Gods have not been kind to me this Summer. Or more like the baby has not been kind to me this Summer ;)

Jane M said...

What a versatile dress pattern for Myra. Love how you dressed it up with the bow. And yeah for the real world debut of the helicopter shirt.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a sweet little dress! Myra will love it.

Shari said...

Such a pretty little dress!
My Daughter and my two grandsons all have their birthdays in August also!

Uta said...

Adorable dress! One day, I'll make an exact copy of the helicopter shirt... I love it!