Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ottobre 06/2008-16

I've made this skirt before, so this'll be quick.
This is the Tammy skirt from the 06/2008 issue of Ottobre. This time I made it out of black twill. She needed a neutral skirt to wear with all of the pink tops she has. Pants are out of the question, of course.
You can see the details a little better here. For this version, I topstitched the yoke with pink hand quilting thread. I like the thickness the hand quilting thread has. It isn't quite as heavy as topstitching or upholstery thread, but it still packs a punch. I also left the pleats more unpressed to give it a little more body.
It twirls nicely.
My favorite part is the lining. It's cute polka dot satin. I hate hemming polyester satin, so I  just did a serger rolled hem. I think it's pretty fun, and Myra's a wild child so the lining shows quite often.
It's long enough to carry us through at least a season or two. I hope. The blouse she's wearing is Ottobre 01/2010-15, which I blogged about here.

8 comments:

Varina said...

The lining is the best part. She should wear it inside out (although then no one could see your fancy box pleats). Also in that outfit she looks quite convincingly like a wee Amish lass.

Lisa said...

Your daughter is gorgeous !!! She looks so sweet in her new skirt.

Marjie said...

That's a darling skirt. It looks like it should be good for a season or 2. I love the topstitching detail.

Cennetta said...

Adorable. Our children are so lucky to have personal designers.

Beth said...

I've been wondering if hand quilting thread would work in a machine. I love the lining, too.

gwensews said...

She is so dang cute! My daughter, when she was little, just hated dresses and skirts and would pull on them endlessly, trying to get them off!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

She looks very happy with her twirly skirt! I always cheat and just serger finish lining edges. Glad I'm not alone!

Joy said...

Great skirt - cute and classy at the same time.
She looks just like you!