Friday, June 3, 2011

Jalie 2805

After making my bellbottoms, I kept imagining this striped v-neck tee with puffy sleeves to go with it. Good thing I can sew.
The sleeves are definitely not as puffy as they appeared in my mind...
But I still like it with the bells. The pattern began as Jalie 2805, but with the sleeves of Jalie 2788, the twist top. This is where my vision broke down... I really should have compared the two sleeves, but in typical fashion for me, I just blew ahead, and discovered that the 2805 armhole is bigger than the 2788, so while the sleeves fit, they're a bit flat.
I really like the lapped neckband. It's cute and looks more complicated than it was. This picture shows the fabric a bit more accurately. It is an interlock that came from my Mom's stash. The stripes are yellow, blue and pink. They remind me of sherbet. You can see the corner of the sleeve binding here as well. Jalie cleverly had the binding strip cut on the cross grain, so the stripes go perpendicular to the sleeve. I did not use my binder for this, and I'm really not thrilled with how they came out. Wearable, but not fabulous. Next time I'll use the binder.
Speaking of stripes, they lined up nicely for me! I made the same fit alterations that I did for the scarf collar top, so if you look closely, you can see where the stripes don't quite line up where I eased the front into the back. I think that tiny discontinuity is worth it for a great fit in the bust. Even though it isn't quite my vision, it really is quite wearable and I'm very happy with the pattern overall. I'll definitely be using it again. I love a good v-neck top.
Myra wanted in on the photo shoot. She's getting pretty good at aping my poses. I think those PJs are getting a little small though. Might be time for some new ones...

In other news, I'm getting my white jeans ready to sew and yet again can't seem to make a topstitching decision.
From the top, the threads are white (thanks to montanachic for that suggestion!), grey and cream. I'm using silver rivets and buttons, so I lean toward the grey, but I'm afraid it's too much/too dark. Should I look for a lighter grey, or go with one of these? Or something completely different? What do you think?

15 comments:

Mercy said...

I'd definitely go with either a lighter grey or the cream. That grey just seems much too dark.

Cindy said...

I love the neckline on your striped top! As for thread color,of those pictured I like the cream best. But I think a lighter gray might be nice too.

Bella said...

I love your top! I'm just getting into Jalie patterns and love them for their simplicity. I had great plans for combining two or three patterns to come up with really good dresses, but I think I might take the measuring tape with me after your experience.
The lack of puffiness doesn't take from your top though - it just gives you a great excuse to make another.

Amy Stanton said...

There's a lot of cute in this post, but Myra takes the cake, lol. Nice top! I would like to see a lighter grey top-stitching thread.

Julia said...

Myra is a doll. Scary isn't it, that she mimics all you do!!!?? Of course, she has a great role model, so no worries there.
Love the bellbottoms and the top!!!!
I like the top stitching at the bottom of the photo.

Beangirl said...

I think the gray is too dark, but a lighter version might work. I sort of like the idea of a darkish cream, sort of low contrast but just a little hint of color.

Pam said...

I like the cream - very polished - and, great top!

MushyWear said...

Cute stripey top. Great colors in the stripes too. I like the cream best on your top-stitching, but agree with the others about possibly trying a lighter gray.

Eugenia said...

Lovely top and the stripes are really cute. I think you should go with a lighter grey - a silvery shade - for your topstitching. But I do also like both the white and the cream.

wendy said...

what a great wearable top! i love that fabric :)

Big in Japan said...

Myra looks like a fun assistant.
As for the jeans-from the three threads you have shown, I like the cream the best. But I think a very light grey, or a very pale blue-grey would be worth checking out.

Sue said...

My vote is the cream thread (if I get a vote! LOL!)

Top looks great - I am in awe of how well you matched those little stipes!

Jen said...

Love the top. With the top stitching on the white denim I would go with a lighter gray.

Sandi said...

Cute top! Go with the light gray for topstitching...

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I vote cream, and I love the top. I'm fixing to try my first binding of sleeves and now wondering if I need to buy a binder-thingy....hmmmm.