Sunday, March 14, 2010

New Look 6638

I spent all day sewing with my friend Starla yesterday.  It was so fun!!!  And I was able to finish Myra's new PJs in record (even for me) time.
Aaah!  Even I can't handle how cute she is!
Here are the PJs, which are also pretty darn cute, if I may say so.  I only had 1 1/2 yards of fabric and the pattern called for two, so I just barely scraped by with what I had, and had to change it up just a bit, although that wasn't just to conserve fabric.  I get more annoyed by Big 4 pattern instructions by the day...
The collar is trimmed with lace.  The pattern instructed you to assemble the collar, then stitch the lace underneath.  How stupid is that???  I inserted the lace between the under and upper collar.  A much nicer finish.  I also omitted the interfacing on the collar.  My flannel had plenty of body and the lace provided sufficient structure.  I do like the bias bound collar attachment, though.  I'll give Simplicity credit for that one.
The sleeves and pant legs call for casings made of bias strips, which is fussy and fiddly and annoying to do.  I zigzagged on clear elastic.  Much better!
In the fabric conservation area, I did have to alter the lower ruffle.  I almost had to omit it completely, which would have been too bad.  It's darn cute.  I did have to piece it and there wasn't enough width to do a double fold hem without making the ruffle a bit skimpy, so I overcast the lower edge rather than hem.  Not my favorite, but it  doesn't look too bad with this busy print.

Myra seems to like them!
for lounging...
playing...
and dancing!
Could she be any cuter???

23 comments:

Sam Rose said...

That is adorable! You are so awesome. I'm starting to think the pattern instructions are more of just guidelines...

Maryissewfast said...

What a bundle of cuteness!!! You mentioned a few post back that Mitch had an interview in Portland. Was that Portland, Oregon as in OHSU??? My daughter used to work there in women's health and the husband of one of our instructors at work is a radiologist there. It's a great hospital!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Precious child and outfit! Your sewing is beautiful and you're inspiring me to break away from the instructions too.

Kitschy Coo said...

She looks really adorable, well done on the PJs!

Beangirl said...

Those are so cute! Where did you get that flannel from? I love it. And I definitely do NOT like Big4 instructions for the most part and I totally ignore them. If I make a Big4 pattern (which I don't very often) I skim the instructions just to make sure they haven't done something goofy that I can't do any other way (and of course won't realize until I get halfway through the project and it's too late) and then I do it my own way (which is usually but not always Ottobre Design's way). Like that bias-tape casing thing, I have never understood that, it's totally ridiculous. But they sure do like it.

Pam said...

I fully concur with Justame R - they are adorable!! Your daughter is going to grow up and think of the wonderful clothes you sewed her with fond memories. I remember a muff my Uncle bought me at Saks - when I was a toddler - it does make me want to shop at Saks more:) I can't wait to see what you sew in her teens!

Karin said...

She looks darling in her lovely pajamas. Very cute!

wendy said...

Awwwwww... too sweet! they are adorable!

Heather said...

Oh! those are the sweetest little jammies! Cute kiddo, too! ;-D

Aminat said...

WOOOOW...that is so adorable, she's such a cuteeeeeeeeeeeee. I love are PJ set

kbenco said...

What a well dressed, gorgeous girl.

Kym said...

How cute?...VERY CUTE i say!
x K

Victoria said...

Such a cute, cute, outfit for such a sweetie pie!!!! And to answer your question, no, she couldn't be any cuter (wink)!!!

KID, MD said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments! I think she's pretty adorable, but then I'm her mommy. To answer a couple of ?s
@SewFast - Mitch was in Oregon! He was very impressed with the hospital and the town.
@beangirl - The flannel came from Joann's during a crazy flannel is 2.50 a yard sale. It is surprisingly nice for a Joann fabric.

gwensews said...

Those PJs are so dang cute, and your little girl is precious. I just love them at that age. They learn something new every day and are so much fun.

Linda L said...

These PJ's are so cute!!

Joy said...

Cute kid and jammies! Simplicity patterns seem to love bias tape - I wonder if that preference has anything to do with the connection between Simplicity and Wrights.

Kathi said...

The PJ's are too cute!!!!!

Pippi creates said...

Very cute little sleep outfit indeed. And the flannel is gorgeous, it's nice when you pick up something like that on the cheap. GReat job!

Digs said...

Total cutie pie! Adorable girly pj, too! Way to go, Mom!

Beth said...

Very cute!
Pattern, finished pj's and most of all--daughter.

Michelle said...

Adorable!! Those pajamas are so sweet!

amber said...

SO CUTE!! I love all the little ruffles and frills.