Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ottobre 01/2009-23 "Tarhuri" pants

Logan put a hole in his only pair of dress pants a couple of days ago, so he needed some new ones for church.
This style is from the 01/2009 issue of Ottobre, and is a basic elastic waist pant with three different pocket and detail options.  I made the other two styles last year - here and here, so I knew that Logan liked them.
The front pockets are lined, and are intended to extend up as belt loops, but I omitted the belt loop extension, as I wasn't planning to make the coordinating belt.  Mostly this was to save time (I sewed these Saturday night to wear to church Sunday), but also because Logan doesn't wear belts.  I also skipped the velcro side tabs that hold up the pants when rolled up, since these are church pants and that seemed a bit casual.
Here is the back.  The back pockets are super fun!  They are sewn as a unit, with the flap as a part of the pocket back.  Ottobre intends you to sew them on along the flap fold line so that they hang down and can flap up.  I thought that would annoy Logan, so I sewed them down along the bottom and sides like a traditional patch pocket, so I ended up with a double pocket.
 Tuck something in behind the flap,
or under it!  Logan played around with his pockets a ton!  One thing that I didn't like about these pants was the fabric I chose.  It is a flannel backed twill from FFC, which I chose because it is nice and warm, but it is also too thick for these layered pockets, so they are a bit bulky.  Logan likes them though, so overall they are a win!
Most importantly, they are good for running!

Parting shot:
The Wee Professor sports his gear.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made these a while ago and I loved the looks of them! Thank you for reminding me of this pattern, I'll make sure to make it again when DD reconciliates with the thought of a girl wearing pants.

Anonymous said...

Such cute pockets! All this cuteness in pockets and I'm thinking that I should get an Ottobre subscription.

The baby is absurdly adorable in his little getup.

Heather said...

Ah yes...my favorite pants pattern!! Everyone looks very handsome. Wee Prof. looks especially dapper.

Julia said...

Your kids must be the best dressed at your church!

Debra Martin said...

I love those pockets! And the action shot is adorable. It's fun watching your little ones grow up in pictures on your blog. You capture their little personalities so well with your pictures.
:)Deb M.

gwensews said...

Those are super pants! Little boys LOVE pockets. My little grandsons (age 2 and 3) enjoy loading their pants pockets with everything from potato chips to dirt and rocks! Your children are just beautiful.

wendy said...

Those pants are sooo cute. And hello to the wee professor- what a sweet looking guy.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Too cute! Kids and clothes! I love secret pockets - I fashioned some on the boys' shorts & they were a huge hit. I'm thinking the original Ottobre method sounds prone to catching on things and getting ripped off.

Jane M said...

What wonderful pockets and great pics of your adorable children.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I love the double pocket! I am sure he will find many uses for both layers.

Beth said...

I love the shot of your baby. So cute!!!!

amber said...

The Wee Professor is sooo cute!! Great looking pair of dress pants for Logan, too.