Sunday, May 16, 2010

MMM, Day 15

Another lazy day at home...  The top is another copy of my favorite RTW tee.  The pants have a story.  My sewing machine was a gift from my sweet hubby the second Christmas of our marriage.  I hadn't sewn much of anything in many years, since I didn't have my own machine.  These pants were made soon after I got that machine, and I really think I had forgotten everything I ever knew about sewing when I made these!!  The pattern was Vogue, and I don't have it anymore.  It's so OOP that it isn't even on the Vogue website.  It was a pretty basic pant pattern, drafted for wovens, with a fly front and waistband.  Note that these pants are made of ... slinky knit ...  You can imagine what the fly zipper looked like.  Anyway, they are surprisingly wearable considering all the ridiculous rookie mistakes I made - once I took off the waistband and zip and turned it into an elastic casing.  The hem has completely popped out, since I sewed it with a straight stitch.  And I'm not sure I was aware that there were such a thing as seam allowances.  They make comfy lounge pants though - but I don't wear them out of the house.

5 comments:

Sarahbelle said...

Straight stitch on slinky knits!!! I did that for the longest time on my old Singer (which doesn't have zig-zag), until I gave up sewing knits until I got a new machine. Yep. Been there!!!

Pam said...

Awe - comfy knit pants - my favorite!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Those are such YUMMY pants. I can't imagine a zipper in them - yikes!

Amy said...

They look pretty elegant for lounge pants!

Beth said...

nice to know you were a rookie once!
I did the straight stitch on knits just a few projects ago . . .