Sunday, February 28, 2010

Jalie 2805

I have to tell you about my favorite turtleneck in the whole world.  It's perfect.  It fits me perfectly.  The collar is just the right height.  It's made of a firm but stretchy bulletproof poly knit that is just slick enough for ease of layering.  I love it!  I also got it when I was in High School, which since I've since managed to complete Medical School, Residency and subsequently have 2 kids, was a few years ago.  I bought it at a thrift shop, so it wasn't even new then, and has gotten less new over the years.  I should have replaced it years ago, but it's perfect!!  So, here's my first prototype to replace my beloved turtleneck.
It's not perfect, but it's a really good start!  I used Jalie 2805.  I've been pretty happy with the results of Jalie patterns in the past, and this is a good one as well.  For my last Jalie tee, I cut based on my high bust, but ended up with a lot of extra room in the waist, particularly after doing an FBA.  For this one, I wanted it to be a layering piece, and therefore much more fitted.  I am sort of between sizes, if you are using my bust and waist.  So, I cut for my waist size.
Of course, it's snug in the bust.  Here are my drag lines to prove it!  Despite that, I think it will still be fine for layering.  It's comfortable, and since I used a poly spandex blend to make it, it's quite stretchy and slick.  Just right for an under layer.  By itself, I feel a bit like a figure skater or something.  You can't tell in the photos, but it's got a little bit of shine.
I think for my next attempt, I'm going to try drafting a tee based on my new book.  I'm really excited about this book!!  More on that later...

12 comments:

gwensews said...

Go Katie! You and Angie are forcing me to buy that book!

Beangirl said...

Awesome! Drag lines, schmag lines. I totally agree that for layering, who cares? It looks great.

I finally broke down and bought that stupid book, it should arrive next week. You are all BAD INFLUENCES.

Eugenia said...

I love that turtle neck - a perfect basic that you're going to wear a lot!

Sam Rose said...

The fabric looks really cute in the picture. I see what you're saying about the snugness, but it's not too bad. Very cute.

Michelle said...

Great job! I think it will be a perfect layering piece.

Kitschy Coo said...

Lovely top, looks great!

julia said...

Your turtleneck top looks great on you. Was that fabric hard to sew with?

Aminat said...

I love your turtle neck... You aren't taking things easy girl...Keep on rocking

Joy said...

Well, it's a great layering piece, and you're well on your way toward getting a perfect fit. I'm interested to see your process with the help of "that book".

HeathersSphere said...

Cool looking top! This can go with so many outfits. So versatile!

Victoria said...

Nice turtleneck! Have fun making your t-shirt as well:)

amber said...

I think it looks great. A perfect layering piece, indeed. :)