Friday, February 5, 2010

Jalie 2787

Since I wasn't too jazzed about my last wrap front top, I approached this one with a little trepidation, but I think it was more successful!
I'm not looking my best in these pics, so you'll have to pardon the headless shots.  This top is Jalie's criss cross nursing top made from a nylon Tactel knit from Fabric.com.  I definitely am happier with the fit here, although it isn't perfect.  All I did was cut the criss cross panels to my full bust and the rest of the pattern pieces based on my high bust.  Other than some minor gapping on the lower edge of the wrap section, which I noticed that several other full-busted reviewers on PR had, the fit is good!
Here is the gapping I was talking about.  It looks like I'm raising my arm, but I'm not.  That is the way it lays with my arms down.  You can also see that the side seam pulls a bit to the front.  I think this in inevitable if the criss cross panels are going to be snug across the chest.
Here is the other side, which lies quite flat and nice.  I'm pretty close to the same size on both sides, so I'm not sure how to account for the difference, but this was also noted by other reviewers on PR.
The back fits well and you can see the cool bell sleeves, which I really like.  All in all, I think this one is a winner.  I didn't take a picture of the nursing opening for you (because that would be weird), so you'll have to take my word that that aspect works quite well.  For the next time, I may try to take a small wedge out of the wrap section where it gaps and see if that helps.

14 comments:

Myra said...

YOur came out nicely, mine looked like a maternity top since it accentuated that area for me. I make them for my daughter, though. She likes them with the flutter sleeves.

Kitschy Coo said...

I think it looks great, I much prefer it to the Simplicity one. As I don't know this pattern I'm probably not qualified to make suggestions but could you fix the gap by cutting the crossover panels lower and then gather them up at the side seams? I have a couple of wrap tops like that and they're really flattering!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That is so cute! What a great design, and it doesn't look at all like special functional nursing clothing, just stylish.

I still haven't tried Jalie but they are tempting me...

Beangirl said...

I like this a lot, it's flattering and stylish and practical (so what's not to like?). I think to fix that gap I would pull a little of the side seam allowance on the front wrap piece over when sewing up the side seam and then trim off the difference. Like, measure the gap and remove that differnce, which I guess is basically what you just said! LOL Except I'd just do it at the sewing machine and not bother to redraft the pattern piece, which means that it would only work every other time because I would forget in between what the heck I did the last time.

Pam said...

Great top! I love knits! This really highlights your knock-out figure - especially in the back!!

Angela said...

Cute! The color suits you, too!

Cindy said...

Love the top and the color!

Anonymous said...

I tried taking out a wedge, just like you suggest. It resulted in more pulling at the side seam. But maybe it works for you! The shirt looks great on you, you seem to have good results - makes me think about my fabric choices...

julia said...

Fantastic look and color! I don't think anyone will notice that gaping. My daughters would love it!

Victoria said...

Very pretty top. It came out nicely! The color is pretty on you.

kbenco said...

This wrap top looks good. I do like it better than the Simplicity pattern on you. I made several of the Jalie tops in an attempt to get a good fit, and the pattern just did not work for me, yet it is really cute on both my daughters. I'm glad it worked for you, I agree with Morzel that fabric choice makes a big difference to this pattern.

Anonymous said...

Nice work and this is so pretty on you! As for why it gapes on one side and not the other, I'm guessing it's because the part that would gape on the flat side is actually underneath and held down by the piece that wraps on top of it. Very lovely work.

Linda L said...

Very nice top!

amber said...

I would never guess this is a nursing top! Very cute and I (obviously) love the color. ;)