Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Simplicity 2733

After working on the Myrtlewood for so long, I needed a quick and dirty knit top for some instant gratification sewing.
This probably shouldn't have been it...  I made so many dumb mistakes making this top!!  Fortunately, it's a nice forgiving ITY, so it is still pretty wearable, but I'm definitely not in love with it.
Here is the side view.  I really like the pleated and gathered sleeves.  They are so pretty in this drapey fabric!
Back view.  This fabric is so cool that I really wanted to use it on something interesting.  I chose this pattern for the interesting wrap detail, so that I could really take advantage of the cool stripe.  I think this may have backfired though.
This pink stripe that runs across the bottom of one boob makes it looks smaller than the other.  Oops.  You can also see in the picture my rookie fitting mistake.  The bodice is two layers, and under layer that is just a plain scoop neck and the wrap over layer.  I did a traditional FBA on the under layer, but for the wrap layer I just lengthened the "legs" of the wrap, but neglected to alter the upper bodice section of the wrap, so the two sides didn't match up.  I should have re-cut the piece, but seriously, y'all, I was just lazy, so I eased the long one into the short one.  That's the gathered bit.  It looks OK, since the lower section is gathered anyway.  It's still not making me jump for joy.  Since I didn't alter the entire wrap bodice, it is too small overall and pulls the side seams to the front.  Again, not so bad as to make the top unwearable, just enough to make me unhappy with it.

The pattern was basically good, although I did have a few gripes with it.  Primarily because it is a Project Runway pattern and therefore supposed to allow you all of these different options, which it does, but I think it does so at the expense of common sense at times.  For example, the neckline is just a basic turned under hem, which is fine, except that you hem the wrap overlay first, then sew it to the unhemmed underlay, seam the shoulders and then you are supposed to hem the back and underlay together, except you can because the wrap overlay is in the way.  This would work fine for the basic scoop neck without the overlay, but they just didn't think through the way that the overlay would effect the construction.  Lazy!

Will I sew it again?  Maybe.  I like the idea of it and I think if I worked out my fit problems and avoided the stripes this would be a super cute top.  I can also see it as a great maternity top, for sometime much later, when I need one of those again.

18 comments:

marLou said...

Thanks for you tips. I have this pattern so I think I will make a note of this when I tackle it over the summer. Altho, I think you did a pretty good job!

Michelle said...

That fabric is really great! Sorry you're not completely pleased with the top, I think it is very flattering. I am with you on the project runway patterns...I have yet to make one up because I got so frustrated with how they did the yardage requirements I never got any further!!

Beangirl said...

It's cute, but I'm going to have to be honest that it's not my favorite thing you've made. It's still totally wearable and cute. And of course, I'm once more amazed at how much sewing you get done! What do I do with all my time?

gwensews said...

If you put the top away for a while and come back to it, you may change your opinion of it. I looks nice in the photos. Maybe in a solid?

Kitschy Coo said...

Even if you don't love this top I'm so impressed with how much you get through! And after reading how to do a FBA yesterday, I bow to you very, very deeply...

Julia said...

No one who has had 2 kids should have a stomach that flat!!! Unfair!!! You look fantastic!

Myrna said...

I've been wondering what ITY stands for?

Angela said...

Ooo.. I love the fabric... I can see why you wanted to use the stripes. I think it looks great! :)

KID, MD said...

ITY = interlock twist yarn, which basically is a thin, soft poly knit with tons of drape and stretch.

Thanks for spotting my abbreviation, Myrna! I added it to the list on the sidebar for future reference.

Unknown said...

It looks wonderful on you! I have to ask - where did you find this particular fabric?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That is a great fabric! I think the top came out cute.

KID, MD said...

The fabric totally makes this top wearable! I got it at FabricMart about 6 months ago. It is an Anna Sui print.

Pam said...

i think it is very slimming - I'm a big fan of the quick and dirty sew. . .

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

So how long did it actually take to make? I'd love something quick after the month-long dress, although I don't know if it'd be great for a flat-chested person!

Kathi said...

I would also say it is not my favorite item you have made. It is interesting you said it would make a great maternity top. My first thought was that it looked like a nursing top. Sorry it didn't work out quite as you had hoped!!

KID, MD said...

It took me about 4 total hours of time with trace, alter, cut, sew. I probably should have spent a little more time in the "Alter" department though!! If you are looking for a quick tee to sew, I like New Look 6816 (shoulder and side seams only!), or pretty much anything by Jalie or Kwik Sew.

amber said...

I think it looks good on you. Great print!