Monday, September 26, 2016

Kitschy Coo Skater dress for a very special day

In our church, children are eligible to be baptized when they turn 8 years old. Myra turned 8 last month, and she couldn't wait to be baptized, so we began making arrangements, and I got to sewing.
The first dress I made was for her to wear during the ordinance of baptism itself. She needed a pure white dress, simple and sweet. I chose the Kitschy Coo Skater dress for its simplicity and comfort.
Myra wanted a long skirt, so I lengthened it about 8 inches, but kept the skirt slim. We baptize by immersion, and I didn't want it floating out of the font! It's still quite hot here in Tennessee, so I used the short sleeve. The fabric is a scuba knit from fabric.com, which was just the right weight and nicely opaque.
Even though the dress was simple and white, I still wanted it to be special, so I added some embroidery to the front bodice. It was very difficult to photograph, since it's tone-on-tone, but looked very sweet in person.
Myra was very happy with her baptism dress, and I was so happy I was able to make such a special dress for her. Of course, she needed another dress for after the baptism... I'll post about that one tomorrow.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

This is beautiful! I love the embroidery on the bodice, it fits perfectly! Congratulations to your sweet little one!

Jo said...

The embroidery is beautiful, what a wonderful idea! She looks so happy and bright in her white dress!

Randi Crawford said...

What a beautiful dress for a beautiful little "Child of God"! I love that song, too.