Friday, March 11, 2016

Kwik Sew 3299 with manly embroidery

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have spotted some attempts at manly embroidery. My poor hubby gets very little sewing attention, but this seemed like a fun challenge. I've been playing around with fitness type designs, as Mitch is active in Crossfit.
I was editing this design on my laptop, and Mitch saw it and couldn't stop laughing. But it was a good kind of laughing, and he asked me to put it on a tee shirt. YAY!! Man embroidery!
Here is the design itself. The barbell is from Embroidery Library (you can get it here), although I stitched it out with darker greys. The font is from Etsy, and I purchased it here. I struggled to get the proper stabilization for this design on this fabric! The knit is fairly lightweight and quite stretchy. I test stitched the design out quite a few times before I found a stabilization method that worked. I ended up with two layers of mid-weight cutaway stabilizer hooped with the fabric, then with a layer of water soluble stablilizer floated on top.
The shirt pattern is Kwik Sew 3299. It's been out of print a while. It's a fairly loose fit tee and I think I might go looking for another tee shirt pattern. *Jalie, Cough, Cough* This one has slightly odd proportions.
The neckband is the worst offender. It's weirdly wide. The pattern piece looked odd when I cut it out, so I stitched it with an extra 1/4 inch seam allowance, and it still looks too wide. The sleeves are also slightly short. That actually works for this, since Mitch will wear it to the gym, but for casual wear I think a slightly longer sleeve is more masculine.
Mitch did consent to a photo so you could see how it fits. As I mentioned, this is a workout shirt, so it is intentionally snug. Mitch's broad shoulders make the sleeves look even more disproportionally short. Must order new men's tee pattern. Because there will be more manly embroidery!! I wonder if anyone has digitized something with guns...

No comments: