Thursday, August 7, 2014

Cole's Creations Spirit Jacket

Since I didn't get a chance to help out with testing the Katy Panda dress, I was thrilled that I got an opportunity to try out Nicole's next design, the Spirit Jacket!
It is such a fun design and a super fast sew. It's a raglan sleeved jacket with a snap front and front pockets.
I wanted to emphasize the letterman jacket look, so I used faux stretch leather for the sleeves. The body of the jacket is a furry knit-backed velboa, so it's cozy, comfortable and cute. I used ribbing for the sleeves.
The collar is shaped so it rises high on the back of the neck, but without coming too high in the front. The jacket closes with snaps. I used black pearl snaps, which turned out really cute with the leather and fur.
You can see here how the collar hugs the neckline, which still being comfortable.
The hem edge of the Spirit Jacket is finished in the style of a letter jacket with a nice snug hem band and two snaps for closures. It helps keep it cozy and in place but still comfortable.
I made Myra a size 6 and it is a great fit. The length is good on her, but long enough that she won't outgrow it next week. The fit through the body is easy enough for playtime, but not large enough to look slouchy. And if you're wondering if the pattern comes in the size you need, the chances are it does! All sizes 1/2 to 16 are included!!
The Spirit Jacket is designed for cozy fabrics like fleece, velour and heavy knits, so even though it is unlined, it is still nice and warm. You could also make it up as a lightweight jacket for layering.
It's such a versatile style, I can see it made in so many different ways, and embellished to suit every opinionated youngster. It'll be great for my boys, too. (And yours!)
Myra loves her Spirit Jacket, and I had a really fun time sewing it. If you are nervous about sewing jackets, this would be a great starter, and if you're more experienced, it's fun to whip out. Head over and get the pattern now! It's on sale until tomorrow for $2 off, which makes it only $6.95!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Adorable!

Heather Bee said...

Hee hee hee, so cute. I can see why you want one too.

Petra Levin said...

I love this!!! Can I ask, where did you find the ribbing? (Not being able to find a reliable source for ribbing online is the only thing keeping me from making this ASAP -- along with many other adorable items!)

Nicole Scott said...

It's so, so cute Katie! I just love your version. Thank you for the review and for testing for us!

Marjie said...

Myra's getting to look so grown up! Great jacket.

Leila said...

This is totally cute. I remember when you posted it.