Saturday, January 26, 2013

Twitter enabling

I've only been tweeting a short while, but the sewing community there is awesome! And terribly enabling. But I like that in my friends.
So, while chatting about Sewing Dares, this came up...
And so we are sewing coats! I'm excited to be working with all of these amazing ladies. I know we'll be excellent support for each other. Now, for my coat...
It all started with this amazing stretch poplin from Mood. As you can see, the scale of the print is quite large, so it needs a simple style to really show it off.
I found this very simple belted coat in the 08/2007 issue of Burda magazine. You can't tell anything from the fashion image, but it is a straight cut coat with very little shaping. There is a single dart that shapes the front, hidden under the lapel. The collar has a half stand, just across the back to give it lift  and shaping there. Otherwise, it is very, very simple. I'm planning to underline with wool jersey and do very minimal tailoring just in the collar and lapels. I'll probably also add some support to the armholes and upper chest - probably just cross-grain fusible, but we'll see.

I had hoped to get this finished in time for Jungle January, but the lining has still not arrived, so I don't think that will happen. I'm so glad that I got a chance to participate in this party though, especially when a sweet little package arrived in the mail yesterday!!
How fun is this?! Thank you so much, Anne!! Mlle. Hello Kitty brightens my day and those buttons... I have no words. They are beyond amazing. I'm going to have to find the perfect project to feature them. Mitch suggested a jacket, but there are enough for a shirtdress... What would you do?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't been on Twitter for a while, but coats must be in the air. I just got the fabric to make myself a new coat from Butterick 5716.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Those buttons want to be on a retro shirtdress. They told me ;)

ladykatza said...

We are a terribly enabling bunch, aren't we? I am making a jacket for my daughter too.