Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Kitschy Coo Boy Short Briefs

After I cut out all of the pieces for my "Make it in a Metre" tees, I had quite a few largish pieces of astronaut knit left over. So, what to do with leftover knit?
Make underwear, of course! I've been meaning to try out the Boy Cut Briefs pattern by Kitschy Coo, and it seemed appropriate to use it on her fabulous jersey. And y'all - what was I waiting for!?! These are awesome!! They whip up in no time. These two pair, from prepping the pattern (taping together the PDF pattern and drafting the rectangular bands) to putting them on my kids was less than 45 minutes. And you can sew them completely on the serger, if you are so inclined. Since all the openings are banded, you don't have to hem anything.
My kids love them. They are comfortable and easy to move in. The sizing looks good for my munchkins - both fit in their age appropriate size. I love that they provide such good coverage. My kiddos inherited their ghetto booty from me, so I love that there is no cheek hanging out with these. So, I'm never buying underwear again.

12 comments:

Tanit-Isis said...

cute! I've been thinking about adapting the Jalie yoga-shorts to briefs for my kids---they like the boy-cut as well. And it's so handy for using up the teensiest scraps :)

auntninn said...

I *love* that pattern. I got two true years out of the first ones I made Rylee, although she has a pretty tiny booty. And she always chooses those first, sometimes even out of the dirty laundry (icky). The no wedgie feature is particularly boss.

BConky said...

Beware I made undies for my granddaughters with fluffy rears and now that's all they want. So I have to make them a couple times a year.

KID, MD said...

LOL! It's good to be appreciated! :) These are so easy, I'd rather just zip them out than fight three kids in the store to buy more!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I'm wondering if I could adapt those for a grown up because they look so comfortable!

Marjie said...

Lucky children with a mom who can make fun undergarments, too!

KID, MD said...

I think it would be really easy, actually! The body of the underwear is all one piece (no crotch inset so they kind of have to be cotton), only seamed at the sides, and then bands sewn on in place of elastic at the legs and waist.

Cindy said...

Adorable undies!

Joy said...

So...where is your pair?

Beangirl said...

Bahahaha, Joy's comment made me laugh.

These are so cute! I'm thinking about making some for the Evil Monkeys.

Maybe. Or some for myself (!) to use up all those super-cute knit off-cuts that I can't seem to use up on the Monkeys' clothes. I can totally have pink sunflower panties, right? Right.

KID, MD said...

Right here! My tastes in undies run a bit differently than my kids. :)

michal said...

these look so great! now I wait for my little boy to need underware :-)